Policy Analyst (Green Infrastructure and Rainwater Management Development Review)
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Policy Analyst supports implementation of the Rain City Strategy Buildings and Sites Action Plan and green infrastructure and rainwater management through development on private property. Responsibilities include administering the rainwater management development application review program, reviewing plans and developing and updating policies, bylaws, processes, tracking and reporting systems. The position will be a key contributor to the Development Water Resources Management team, which provides sewer, groundwater, and rainwater management implementation and development support services for private property related to both green and grey infrastructure. The Policy Analyst will support the City’s efforts to be a leader in integrated water management policies and practices to help shape a more livable, equitable and resilient city that helps revive its urban watersheds and ecosystems and protect its people, streams, rivers and oceans.
The position reports to the Senior Rainwater Development Management Engineer and works closely with many branches within Engineering and other City departments including Planning Urban Design and Sustainability, Development, Building and Licensing, Legal Services, and external organizations such as Metro Vancouver to effectively manage existing and emerging programs.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides administration, tracking, reporting and communications related to the implementation of rainwater management plans on private property
- Reviews rainwater management plans and works closely with applicants to ensure compliance with City policies and guidelines
- Develops and implements business processes and process improvements across departments to support rainwater management policy and outcomes
- Performs or arranges for business process analysis for various programs for continuous improvements, potential program changes or new initiatives
- Engages with external agencies, community groups, professional and trade associations or other potential partners in the development and/or application of policies, programs and actions
- Reviews and initiates changes to by-laws (e.g., Sewer and Drainage By-law, Zoning and Development By-law) for appropriate modifications/updates to support rainwater policy and outcomes
- Keeps apprised of emerging best management practices pertaining to green infrastructure and on-site rainwater management
- Procures and manages consultancies, as required, to develop program options to conduct research and policy reviews.
- Prepares reports and presentations to project partners, industry and outside agencies
- Tracks and monitors private side rainwater management systems
- Prepares presentations to senior management to seek support and guidance on cross departmental initiatives
- Prepares reports and presentation to Council, as required
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Planning, Sustainability, and considerable related experience administering and implementing policies or programs within a large, complex public sector organization, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience designing and leading stakeholder engagement strategies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of integrated rainwater management and green infrastructure policy, planning, design, and/or operations
- Proficient in business and economic analyses
- Knowledge of business analysis, process design, review and improvement (e.g., Lean principles)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills including the ability to deal effectively with multiple tasks meeting competing deadlines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to manage projects across multiple departments, business processes and stakeholder groups
- Ability to research, develop and analyze policies and regulations, to evaluate the implications of proposals and to identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical and narrative data, to prepare comprehensive reports and present recommendations to senior management and Council.
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion, diplomacy and independent judgement.
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-029: $44.83 to $53.01 per hour
Application Close: October 4, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.