Ethiopia nationals: Environmental Health Assistant
Under the direct supervision of the Environmental Health Officer, the EHA Position is a site level position Based in wereda that involves planning, management and supervising the accurate implementation of the Emergency WASH in targeted areas. The position requires professional communication and engagement skill with the communities, and the partners as well as the accurate management of construction material and other resources under the program and reporting periodically to supervisors. She or He will work in close coordination with community health team to ensure hygiene promotion activities are coordinated with WASH targets.
- Major/key responsibilities.
- Provide technical support in the WASH infrastructure development works.
- Assist EH officer in conducting rapid and detail assessment.
- Daily supervise the implementation of WASH infrastructure and capacity building works during the project period.
- Assist and supervise the formation of water user’s associations and federations according to the new proclamation of the SNNPR water bureau in collaboration with woreda and kebele partners.
- Coordinate capacity building trainings: especially for water user’s associations and federations and Woreda partners on Water schemes management and administration, water quality testing and operation and maintenance of water supply schemes and institutional water supply works.
- Documentation of WASH infrastructures and capacity building tools provision activities and timely report to the supervisor.
- Regularly follow up the delivery of local and industrial materials for project activities and report regular update on utilization status accordingly.
- Assist EHO, Senior ERR Officer and ERRM in preparation of tender document and evaluation of bids and supervise the implementation of the work and payments approval.
- Provide technical support to ensure appropriate institutional setup is in place and capacity of beneficiary community and local government is built up to take over and balanced management water supply and capacity building works done by the International Rescue Committee Ethiopia program Hawassa Field Office.
- Facilitation of payment of works (for labor based projects) and assuring the quality of works and payments in comparisons to the standard payment norms agreed up on.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely entry of data into IRC required databases.
- Compile and share the material utilization report at every two weeks.
- Prepare performance objective plans and reviews timely and promote high level of team sprit with the IRC field staffs.
- Coordinate with the woreda partners in water quality testing and in scheme disinfection and ensure it is done timely.
- Efficient mobilize the beneficiary communities and partners in all phases of the project and ensue effective partnership at all level.
- Coordinate and share quality weekly updates and monthly reports that include all relevant data.
- Conduct water quality tests.
- Assist in planning and organizing needs assessments, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of WASH infrastructure activities.
- Work closely with government and non-government partners.
- Timely hand over all completed activities to partners following the IRC’s exit procedure and ensure the documentation of handing over documents with all partners including the beneficiaries and the IRC.
- Act as focal person of the ERR project EH team for the woreda and conduct regular review meetings with partners and share the update to the EH officer and the EH manager within two days of the meeting.
- Efficient coordinate with and the works of the HP assistant on hygiene promotion works and logistic arrangements at field level in consultation with his supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
Degree/Diploma in Water supply engineering, Water Resources, Water Supply Technicians, Construction, or related field from recognized University, Collages.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience for diploma holders and 1 year for degree holder extensive experience in rural water supply & sanitation activities.
- Demonstrated practical experience in construction/rehabilitation of rural water supply systems especially in spring development, plumbing, construction/repair of hand dug wells, installation/repair of hand pumps is a must.
- Experience on managing the construction and maintenance of large scale motorized schemes specifically deep boreholes has added value.
- Demonstrated experience in managing labor and material at construction site.
- Knowledge of SPHERE standard and Project Cycle management is an asset.
- Experience of engineering software’s like AutoCAD and basic computer skill has value.
- Flexible and committed to work under pressure.
- Having a demonstrated experience to work with government partners and structures is essential.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising construction works specially water supply schemes is an asset.
- Experience in NGO will be an asset.
- Knowledge of Local language has advantage.
- Good command of spoken and written English and Amharic is essential.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
- Basic Computer skills in word, excel and PowerPoint.
- Willingness to work in rural areas and under stress.