Reference Number: 57/09/2020/TE/WASCA/Bangalore
Project: Water Security and Climate Adaptation in Rural India (WASCA)
Position: Technical Expert
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka
How to Apply: Please send your application in GIZ application form https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/28418.html along with the following to with the reference number in subject line.
1. a statement of suitability for this position.
2. expected salary and notice period
3. 2 pager note on any one of the topic given below
A short note on – Application of GIS in integrated water resource management
What are the key challenges and solutions in convergence of stakeholders in water resource management?
Water Security and Climate Adaptation in Rural India (WASCA) is an Indo-German Project, commissioned by the BMZ in partnership with the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) and the Ministry of Jal Shakti in India for three years, April 2019 – March 2022. The project is active at national level and in five states namely, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh.
In Karnataka, project WASCA has been providing technical support directly to Jalamrutha programme (state-wide scheme on water security under Department of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj). The objective of this collaboration is to improve strategy development, promoting integrated and climate-adapted management of water resources in rural areas and strengthening the cooperation with private sector measures for composite water management in Shivamogga and Tumkur districts of Karnataka.
For more details, click on: https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/75372.html
For these objectives, the WASCA project is currently recruiting one (1) Indian candidate for the following position: Technical Expert for project coordination in Karnataka.
The technical expert will be based in Bangalore, Karnataka and will work very closely with the Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Department, and the Jalamrutha programme. Apart from the state level, project is operational in Shivamogga and Tumkur Districts in the State.
• Managing the project planning and implementation in Karnataka – at the state level in Bangalore, and district level in Shivamogga and Tumkur.
• Providing technical input and policy advice to the WASCA project stakeholders in Karnataka on integrated and climate resilient water resource management based on Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM) and Planning approach
• Supporting operational planning and stakeholder management in the state.
• Contributing to conceptual and strategic development of project goals and activities in close collaboration with the team.
1. Advisory support
• Policy advocacy with the state Government, as well as other project stakeholders including the private sector on issues of water security and climate adaptation.
• Need based support for technical input at stakeholder consultations and meetings on project related matters.
2. Application of specialist knowledge and expertise
• Provide technical, conceptual and methodological inputs for the project and its partners on water resource management and climate adaptation.
• Provide technical inputs on capacity building of stakeholders through module development and facilitating training sessions on project topics.
• Provide technical inputs on use of digital technologies including GIS (Geographical Information System), other spatial and non-spatial data required for improving water security and climate adaptation.
3. Knowledge Management and M&E
• Ensure regular documentation of project activities and results in adherence to GIZ guidelines.
• Facilitate logistics for organizing of workshops and events at state level.
• The technical expert is responsible regular monitoring of project activities in the state and reporting the same to Director NRM.
• Assistance in assessment of the consultancy/contract requirements, preparation of terms of references for tendering and evaluation of received bids.
• Assist in managing the contracts including facilitating the appointed consultants for successful completion of the assigned contracts.
• Help to promote the overall GIZ current and future portfolio on environment, climate change and natural resource management.
C. Required qualifications, competencies and experience
• Post Graduate Degree in water resource management/Natural Resource Management/ Environmental Sciences/Economics/ or comparable degrees.
2. Professional experience
• Minimum 5 years of proven work experience in development/Government programs especially in the field of natural resource management, agriculture and water management.
• Professional experience in project management, multi-stakeholder coordination, capacity building of technical personnel on rural development programmes, water and natural resource management.
• Experience of handling GIS based natural resource management projects/tasks
• Experience of working with or for the Governments at the national/ State levels in India is desired.
• Experience of working with or for development cooperation in India with international bi-lateral or multilateral donors/ financing organisations is an added advantage.
3. Other knowledge and additional competences
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is required. Kannada will be an added advantage.
• Enthusiastic to cooperate and work in multidisciplinary teams
• Willingness to work in an intercultural environment
• Willingness to undertake domestic and international travel
• Excellent computer skills: Geoinformatics/GIS tools, MS-Office, Internet Explorer, MS-Outlook
• Familiarity with GIZ specific planning, implementation and reporting procedures will be an advantage.
Travel: The position requires extensive travel within Karnataka, and occasional travel to Delhi and outside India.
Duration of the contract: Until February 2022
Last date of receiving applications: 05 October 2020
Application without GIZ application form will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• GIZ supports Work-Life Balance.
• GIZ promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
Disclaimer: As per GIZ’s data confidentiality policy, candidate’s application is stored in our database for 6 (six) months and is deleted thereafter.