Regional Global Adaptation Network (GAN) Liaison (UN Environment)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the GAN Coordinator and in close collaboration with the Regional Climate Change Coordinator in Africa, the UNV Regional GAN Liaison for Africa will be:
- Supporting the regional adaptation networks for Africa (Ebafosa, AAKNet and EPIC Africa) and supporting bi-directional connections between regional networks and GAN (exploring ways for GAN to work to support and connect the regions)
- Liaising and reaching out to other actors and networks in the region to strengthen, consolidate and expand the regional presence of GAN
- Gathering information about initiatives, activities and adaptation tools and resources (e.g. webinars, publications and guidelines) carried out by in the region and feeding the information from stocktaking into GAN knowledge platform
- Convening stakeholders into regional meetings (webinars, sessions) to exchange information and practical examples about barriers to the uptake of nature-based solutions to adaptation (NBS for adaptation), otherwise known as ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA), to feed into the recommendations for the Global EbA Fund.
- Developing surveys, conducting research and outreach to gather information, evidence, synthesize knowledge and create case studies from regional adaptation work including projects in the regions on best practices, barriers to EbA adoption and uptake, for feeding into the Global EbA Fund, UNEP normative work and global processes including UNFCCC
- Supporting and organizing virtual or in-person adaptation events, webinars, seminars or sessions
- Writing press releases that cover CCAU projects in the Africa region
- Writing blog posts that capture the success stories from CCAU projects in the Africa region
- Writing the text for project webpages for CCAU’s projects in the Africa region
- Writing project factsheets/briefing notes for CCAU projects to capture and communicate the key information and approaches of the project
- Gathering information on regional adaptation reading to feed into regular GAN reading lists Developing reports on latest activities of updating GAN’s regional networks and partners on GAN’s latest activities
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Master’s degree related to environmental management, communications and/or journalism, climate change, natural resources management or other relevant area.
Required experience: 24 Months
- At least 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in support of environmental or science networks or other relevant programmes; experience with adaptation, in particular ecosystem-based adaptation or nature-based solutions, is desired, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
- Required: Excellent proven written and oral communication skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting and analytical skills in English;
- Desired: Experience in communication, preferably including producing press releases
- Desired: for Latin America: knowledge of Spanish; for Africa, knowledge of French and/or Arabic;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Have affinity with or interest in adaptation, in particular ecosystem-based adaptation, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Sustainable natural resources management and climate change adaptation, Other energy, environment and climate change related experience, Journalism, mass media and broadcasting
Driving license: No
Accountability, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 04 October 2020