WASH Infrastructure Specialist, Splash, Kolkata, West Bengal
1. POSITION VACANT: WASH Infrastructure Specialist, Splash, Kolkata, West Bengal
2. ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND:
Founded in 2007, Splash is an international charitable organization, based at Seattle, USA working on WASH in schools, with a view to ensuring clean water for kids. Splash is focused on the urban poor in Asia and Sub Saharan Africa.
Splash builds or renovates WASH infrastructure in schools, including toilets, water storage and hand washing facilities, using innovative approaches and programme design.
In the past 10 years, Splash has brought and continues to ensure safe drinking water to over 400,000 children in cities around the world, including Kolkata, India.
Splash’s WASH in Schools for Everyone (WISE) project/ programme is a five-year initiative to provide 100% of Government Schools in Kolkata with full WASH coverage by 2023 and is being implemented in collaboration with Government of West Bengal. The project would be implemented by implementing partners of Splash.
WISE has the following objectives:
(1) Improve WASH infrastructure (water and sanitation) in schools to create enabling environment for healthy behaviour;
(2) Promote WASH behaviour change in children and adults;
(3) Strengthen school-based menstrual hygiene management (MHM) services, targeting girls aged 10 and over.
For more information about Splash, please visit https://splash.org
3. JOB DESCRIPTION/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
The WASH Infrastructure Specialist (WIS) will be the part of the implementation team for Project WISE and will lead the Infrastructure team, with responsibility for ensuring timely and within budget installation and construction of water and sanitation infrastructure at school sites across Kolkata.
The post-holder shall also manage the team for ensuring consistent and timely ongoing operations and maintenance support to existing school sites where Splash has previously worked. S/he shall make sure that all phases of Splash’s infrastructure programme, including designing, budgeting, hiring of contractors, and construction projects, are completed on time and within budget. This will necessitate in-depth programme progress and financial tracking, personnel management, contractor management, risk management, and conflict resolution.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Project Director - WISE, the WIS shall be responsible for the following:
(1) Ensure that the WISE Infrastructure Team delivers all water and sanitation infrastructure installation and construction at school sites across Kolkata each year within budget and timeline;
(2) Create and oversee the execution of strategic plans (logistics, contractor management, procurement, etc.), for the completion of infrastructure installations across all targeted school sites;
(3) Supervise staff of the Infrastructure Team at Splash, as well as at partner organisations, by leading processes for hiring, onboarding, job training, creating workplans, evaluating performance and capacity building staff of staff;
(4) Lead all communications from Kolkata with the USA-based global WASH Infrastructure Manager;
(5) Provide regular, well-documented reports to Project Director- WISE and USA based staff on infrastructure program completion progress and financial expenditures;
(6) Participate in and support the Infrastructure Contract Committee, which shall finalize decisions on contractor and vendor selection and trouble shooting from time to time;
(7) Support the Project Director and the Seattle-based Development team in creating WASH infrastructure components of proposals and reports; Collaborate with other Splash Program team members in Addis Ababa, Kolkata, and Seattle, and share knowledge with other country teams, to support continuous learning and improvement;
(8) Liaise with the Finance and Administrative Heads of partner organizations, as well as Splash’s Finance Manager, to ensure all inventory and financial documents are duly recorded and all procurement adheres to Splash procurement policy;
(9) Manage relationships with local and international suppliers and vendors;
(10) Take an active role in government and donor meetings to represent Splash’s infrastructure work and expertise in a clear and concise way;
(11) Evaluate the effectiveness and long-term sustainability of all infrastructure program processes and equipment; Be a leader for innovation and improvement;
(12) Perform other duties that arise in the course of implementing the project.
4. QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES:
(1) Applicants must have a B.E. in Civil Engineering or relevant engineering degree;
(2) Additional coursework or certification in Project/ Program Management shall be preferred.
(1) Minimum 10 years of work experience with major construction, development, and/or WASH projects preferably in India, of which at least three years must be in personnel and project management;
(2) Prior experience of working in urban areas is strongly preferred.
Skills and Competencies:
(1) Highly proficient in project management, construction management, and WASH sectors, conversant on current sector thinking related to major project management and delivery;
(2) Ability to collaborate effectively with international staff and programs, including local implementation partners, contractors, government partners, and vendors;
(3) Knowledge of water quality, water supply, sanitation design, and sustainability management;
(4) Highly proficient in Microsoft Office (essential), as well as Project Management and Tracking software;
(5) Professional level of written and verbal fluency in English, as well as Hindi and/or Bengali (Bengali preferred);
(6) Must demonstrate absolute integrity, honesty, openness and sound judgment;
(7) Demonstrable skills in collaboration and a genuine interest in learning from and developing others;
(8) Innovative and creative;
(9) Ability to listen, communicate effectively, and build trust with a wide variety of internal and externals constituents;
(10) Should demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment;
(11) Deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and in working for children.
5. COMPENSATION OFFERED:
Gross compensation budgeted for the position is attractive. The offer made to the selected candidate shall be commensurate with qualifications, experience and salary history.
6. LOCATION: Kolkata, West Bengal
7. REFERENCE: WIS-SPL
8. CONTACT INFORMATION:
Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd.
1/1B, Choudhary Hetram House, Bharat Nagar
New Friends Colony, New Delhi 110 025
Phone Nos.: 011- 2684 2162; 4165 3612
9. APPLICATION PROCESS:
Eligible candidates interested in the position are requested to apply using the link https://recruitment.samshrm.com/JOBS/SPLASH , by or before October 4, 2020 along with a cover letter highlighting their motivation to apply and suitability for the position.