Senior Research Assistant
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
United Nations University for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
The mission of UNU-FLORES is to contribute, through research, capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge, to the resolution of pressing challenges in the area of sustainable use and integrated management of environmental resources (water, soil and waste), particularly in developing and transitional countries. It aims to serve within the UN as the think-tank on resources management and be internationally recognised as a major hub and intellectual focal point promoting integrated management strategies addressing, in particular, the needs of developing and emerging countries. The institute is located in Dresden, Federal Republic of Germany. For more information, please visit http://flores.unu.edu.
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNU-FLORES and direct supervision of the Associate Programme Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- assist with UNU-FLORES’ research activities through researching, extracting, and compiling of information and data related to one or more of its ongoing projects
- sort, consolidate, and process data and enter it into relevant databases
- perform literature reviews and assist in the evaluation and examination of research
- assist in the maintenance of relevant research tools and platforms
- support the preparation and submission of progress reports, donor reports, project reviews, financial reports, audit reports, and any other required project reports
- support the preparation of project proposals related to integrated resource management (Resource Nexus
- prepare a variety of reports and presentations, infographics, tables, and diagrams
- handle communication with external stakeholders
- prepare abstracts/bibliographic descriptions for inclusion in publications
- assist with proofreading of written materials for accuracy before publication
- assist with the institute’s teaching activities, especially e-learning and capacity development
- perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor and the director
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- a master’s degree in international relations, development studies, sociology, political sciences, conflict management, business administration, environmental economy, or a related field
- a minimum of one year of experience in water and gender-based research; experience of wastewater management in the European context would be highly advantageous
- must have a good understanding of the circular economy, integrated resources management, and the development sector
- proven experience of project organisation and communication with diverse partners
- must have the ability to work independently and report work activities in a timely and proactive manner
- experience in developing stakeholder maps is essential; experience organising online workshops and stakeholder dialogues would be an asset
- demonstrate professional confidence and show persistence when facing difficult problems or challenges
- strong planning, organisation, and time management skills; must be flexible with the ability to establish priorities, as well as be able to communicate clearly and efficiently
- proficiency in both oral and written communication in English is mandatory, proficiency in German would be highly advantageous
- proficiency with the full MS Suite is mandatory
- excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Duration of contract
This position is being offered as a part-time employment (20 hours per week) for a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU-FLORES, with the possibility for renewal subject to fund availability and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration of appointment shall not exceed six (6) years. This is an entry-level position with scope for growth and additional responsibility.
The successful candidate will be employed under a personnel service agreement based in Dresden, Germany and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
We offer a competitive (tax-exempt) net salary at the PSA 2 level with a monthly remuneration of EUR 2,658 pro-rata, (0.5 FTE EUR 1,329 actual).
This position carries an annual leave entitlement of 1.25 working days per month (a total of 15 days of paid annual leave) and private health insurance coverage.
As soon as possible.