Kenya nationals: Project Officer (Water; UNESCO)
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the overall supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Regional Office for Eastern Africa in Nairobi, Kenya and under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Specialist for Natural Sciences, the Project Officer shall contribute to the development, management and implementation of activities in the field of water sciences and disaster risk reduction within the overall commitment of UNESCO towards the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030. In particular, s/he will be expected to provide technical and coordinative support to the Programme Specialists working on the implementation of the following two projects: “Water Security in Turkana” and “Strengthening Disaster Prevention Approaches in Eastern Africa”.
The incumbent shall in particular be required to perform the following tasks:
- Assist in tracking and reporting on project activities and budgets
- Assess needs and provide administrative support for meetings, including logistical arrangements, travels and budget preparation; format reports; make all information and documents available online;
- Initiate contractual documents; identify consultants and suppliers; provide full administrative assistance throughout the entire contractual process.
- Provide general office assistance to Natural Science programme staff:
- Register, review and draft correspondence;
- Carry out checks for adequacy, accuracy and quality of information content and presentation to ensure that all correspondence and documents are channeled and processed in conformity with the established procedures;
- Coordinate, follow up and support travel arrangements of all team members;
- Maintain/update programme and project documentation and records;
- Support the development of Natural Sciences Sector strategy options for UNESCO-supported water resource development and disaster risk reduction efforts in Kenya and Eastern Africa;
- Support the Natural Sciences Sector work in emerging disaster and water resource management challenges and identify investment opportunities to promote regional cooperation in disaster prevention and integrated water resources management;
- Support the Natural Sciences Sector cooperation with relevant regional bodies and multilateral regional water and disaster risk reduction (DRR)programs;
- Support the design and administration of regional cooperation activities, including conducting dialogue with national governments, regional organizations, bilateral donors, non-government organizations (NGOs) and other UN agencies;
- Contribute substantially to Country Partnership Strategy for DRR and water security in Eastern Africa
- Support the development of DRR and water-related policies, strategies and plans for Eastern Africa
- Undertake other tasks related to the projects and the Natural Sciences Sector programmes
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Water Science, Disaster Risk Reduction, Environment, or Natural Resources; or related discipline
Required experience: 60 Months
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional working experience relating to water, disaster risk reduction (DRR) or environmental sector including at least three (3) at the international level is required.
- Proven technical skills in the area of Project Management including but not limited to Monitoring and Evaluation, Project Risk Management, Socioeconomic Surveys and Quantitative Data Analysis is desired.
- Work experience in managing government water infrastructure projects and conducting rapid assessment of water resources will be an advantage.
- Experience in stakeholder engagement and communication of project results
- Experience in creating project content and events on various platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, blogs, Web News etc.
- Solid report writing and review skills in English
- Experience in managing Project’s events calendar to ensure timely publication;
- Experience in the management and implementation of national and international projects is an advantage;
- Previous experience in the UN system is desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Other development programme/project experience, Water, sanitation and environmental engineering, Disaster risk reduction
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Creativity, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Leadership, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.