Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Specialist
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 5 million people in 56 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist is a key position within Water Mission, responsible for carrying out monitoring, evaluation, and research activities, and ensuring that information collected is reflected upon, used to improve ongoing initiatives, and incorporated into high quality reports. Based in Charleston, SC, this position reports to the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning (MERL) Manager, and is responsible for internal and external evaluations of program outcomes and impacts including but not limited to the following: developing and managing relevant survey tools, evaluation knowledge management, and supporting and building up field staff engaged in evaluation efforts. S/he will work closely with all Project Managers, Program Directors, national staff, and partners involved in program implementation in order to ensure a coherent and comprehensive evaluation program is designed and implemented, lessons are learned, and experiences shared across the various sectors and program teams. A successful Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Specialist will:
- Assist in the development of evaluation and research study design for Water Mission internal initiatives, donor groups, and granting institutions.
- Implement evaluation and research studies in the field including: procuring qualified in-country research assistants, orienting Water Mission staff to study needs, coordinating research activities on the ground, leading analysis of resulting data, and presenting data in a variety of forums to both Water Mission staff and relevant stakeholders.
- Regularly share program outcomes and learning with the programs team
- Build internal monitoring and evaluation capacity in Water Mission Country Programs and Affiliate Programs, and recommend corrective programmatic action where required.
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- MA/S or equivalent in social science, public health, or international development.
- 1-2 years of experience in monitoring or evaluation and reporting.
- International development experience, preferably in WASH.
- Advanced computer skills and significant experience developing data management strategies and systems, particularly web-based applications, and databases; mobile data collection experience preferred.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methodologies required.
- Experience with statistical analysis software such as SAS, Stata, SPSS or R required.
- Team player who takes initiative and is a problem-solver.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, and organizational skill.
- Prior experience living overseas and ability to work in challenging environments preferred
- Fluency in written and spoken English required, proficiency in Spanish or French preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 60 percent of the time, mostly in developing countries. Most international trips be 10-14 days in length and require this person to ride in long car rides on rough terrain and stand for long periods of time in hot weather.