Terms of Reference
Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW) has been Great Place to Work-Certified™.
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer.
At CEEW, we build careers in public policy
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organization’s
- Curiosity and irreverence as well as responsibility come together at CEEW
- You will get best-in-market remuneration
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Arunabha Ghosh, CEO
New Delhi, India
CEEW seeks to hire a Research Analyst who would work directly with the CEO. CEEW offers an intellectually challenging and conducive work environment, with a focus on research rigour, innovative thinking, and strategic outreach. We are looking for an enthusiastic and detail-oriented individual who would be excited to work on a diverse range of subjects and contribute to the dynamic research environment at CEEW.
CEEW has an interdisciplinary research culture and its value comes from adopting different methods and connecting dots across seemingly siloed policy and industry verticals. By working closely with the CEO, the Research Analyst would work on, among other subjects, energy transitions, water governance, air quality, climate risks, resource security, climate technology governance, governance of global commons, bilateral diplomacy, and international organisations and negotiations.
The successful applicant will assist the CEO with robust quantitative analysis, with a particular focus on econometric methods, as well as extensive writing. In addition to the duties and responsibilities outlined below, s/he should be prepared, as and when necessary, to take on additional responsibilities and respond to events and developments that cannot be anticipated easily.
Job Duties and Accountabilities
Successful candidate is expected to assist the CEO in the following:
- Undertake rigorous quantitative/ econometric analysis on a range of subjects as described above
- Collect, collate and review large amounts of data and analyse information using a variety of mathematical tools and interdisciplinary methodologies
- Ability to organise information coherently using structured frameworks
- Reach out to organisations (government and private) and sectoral experts to identify and explain trends in technologies, finance, policies and citizen behaviour
- Track technological and political developments and engage with government, industry, investors and other stakeholders
- Track global developments related to environmental issues viz-a-viz international governance, trade, finance and technologies through both primary and secondary research
- Co-author reports, issue briefs and develop ideas for blogs and other outreach submissions based on research
- Write short memos for research and policy audiences
- Actively engage with industry stakeholders and government officials to communicate and create impact with research findings
- Contribute to other teams’ research objectives to the extent that their skillset adds value to the output, on request or otherwise
- Assist with project implementation, including preparing presentations, factsheets and other communication material
- Respond to research requests from the CEO, and synthesise information is salient formats
- Assist with programme implementation, including help with preparing presentations and policy recommendations
- Assist with building a database and relationships with a wider community of experts, scholars, institutions and potential donors in the energy, environment and water domains
- Assist with planning and executing events such as report launches, consultation workshops, round table discussions, etc.
- Contribute to reports and other research products as part of the research team.
- Participate constructively in weekly team meetings, research discussions, etc.
- Accompany the CEO and other team members for meetings with other stakeholders; prepare minutes of the meetings and assist with relevant follow up
- Master’s degree with specialisation in quantitative economics methods/ economics and finance
- Keen interest in public policy, governance of markets and technologies, global commons
- Previous internship experience in dealing with public and private institutions within and outside India is desirable
- Superior analytical abilities, effective oral and written communication skills are necessary prerequisites
- Comfortable with numbers and ability to make sense out of large data sets
- Excited by a multidisciplinary role in close collaboration with the CEO
- Ability to manage time effectively to handle multiple requests at the same time
- Ability and willingness to work in a dynamic and fluid environment
- Ability to communicate and coordinate effectively as a team member
- Ability to analyse information and present in a clear and accurate manner, both verbal and written
- Willingness to show initiative in order to handle unforeseen challenges
- Ability to work in multicultural teams
- Willingness to solve problems
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks. CEEW is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. CEEW offers a competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organisations for similar roles.
Interested candidates are requested to send their applications to with ‘Application – Research Analyst – CEO Office’ as the subject line by 30 September 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We appreciate your interest.