Donor Relations Manager
785 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
Water.org's Donor Relations Manager plays a central role within the Strategic Alliances team and a critical role within the organization overall. Working closely with the Global Impact and Finance teams, this individual contributes significantly to securing revenue to support Water.org in achieving its mission. Leading the development of key donor communications and effective internal processes in support of Water.org’s strategic funders. This position reports to the Director of Strategic Alliances.
The Donor Relations Manager is based in Kansas City, MO.
Grant Stewardship (40%)
- Prompt and drive early stage grant kickoffs. This includes working closely with program staff to transfer important knowledge about grant restrictions, deadlines, and deliverables to accountable parties.
- Lead donor report development by translating updates from program staff into cohesive and compelling narratives for donors and contributing to and/or maintaining a donor deadlines calendar.
- Draft updates and collect additional materials to support donor requests as needed.
- Collaborate with program staff to understand challenges that arise under grant programs and develop a recommended action plan to communicate such challenges to donors.
- With the guidance of program staff, stay up to date on progress toward deliverables and grant spending to proactively communicate adjustments to the donor.
Support for Donor Relationship Management (30%)
- Collaborate with relationship managers to determine the framework for proposal opportunities and with the Global Impact team to determine the preferred initiative to include in the proposal. This may involve leading coordination for proposal development across departments, writing, copy editing, and acting as a thought partner with relationship managers.
- Support and lead donor site visit planning and management, including collaborating across departments to determine logistics and customize objectives and activities for each audience. Additional activities will include capturing lessons learned for ongoing process improvement and leading on the development of a detailed briefing book to inform visit participants.
Grants Management: Team and Processes (20%)
- Oversee the diverse range of proposals, progress reports, and related projects. These materials enable the Strategic Alliances relationship managers (who manage partnerships with donors) to effectively solicit and steward Water.org’s prospects and donors.
- Develop and manage effective processes and tools to enhance Water.org’s donor stewardship, including but not limited to:
- Communicating and collaborating with key internal stakeholders
- Managing inputs and deliverables from across Water.org to ensure high-quality materials developed
- Ensuring effective and timely communication of program progress
- Coach, develop, and support the Donor Relations Specialist
- Update report and proposal trackers to ensure that quality standards and deadlines met
- Participate in organization-wide projects or workgroups as needed as a Strategic Alliances and/or grants management representative
- Maintain opportunity records in a CRM system.
- Provide copy-editing support to the team as needed.
- Support revenue, payment, and opportunity tracking.
- Support special projects related to the strategic direction of the Strategic Alliances team.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Directs Work – Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Manages Conflict – Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
- Develops Talent – Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Bachelor’s degree required; industry experience equivalency considered.
- Minimum six years of relevant work experience; minimum of 10+ years experience in lieu of degree.
- In-depth and sophisticated understanding of grant management including: principles of grant development and administration; principles of grant accounting and reporting; and organization and management of records.
- Documented success in grant writing and management with a nonprofit, or serving in a critical role to support grant writing activities.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong understanding of the international development space, preferred.
- Knowledge of the water and sanitation and microfinance sectors a plus.
- International business or philanthropic experience a plus, specifically in Asia, Southeast Asia, Latin America, and/or Africa.
- May require 5-10% infrequent, domestic or international travel
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.