Position: Water for Colorado Communications Coordinator
Contracting Organization: Western Resource Advocates
Supervisor: Communications and Marketing Director, Western Resource Advocates
The position will support the Coalition’s communications and outreach team to effectively communicate through storytelling the importance of rivers and river health and their value to Colorado’s communities and its economy through earned, owned, and paid media. While the Coalition is working remotely during the pandemic, the Communications Coordinator will eventually be expected to be based in Denver or Boulder, Colorado. The position will be a full-time (40 hours/week) one-year contract with opportunity for extension, funds-dependent. As context allows considering COVID-19 travel restrictions, the position may require occasional travel throughout Colorado.
ABOUT THE COALITION
Western Resource Advocates, as a member of the Water for Colorado Coalition, will be the contracting organization for this position. Founded in 1989, Western Resource Advocates is dedicated to protecting the West’s land, air, and water to ensure that vibrant communities exist in balance with nature. We use law, science, and economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region within three core program areas: Clean Energy, Healthy Rivers, and Western Lands.
The Water for Colorado Coalition is dedicated to ensuring that Colorado’s rivers support everyone who depends on them, working toward resilience to climate change, planning for sustained and more severe droughts, and enabling every individual in Colorado to have a voice and the opportunity to take action to advocate for sustainable conservation-based solutions for our state’s water future. The community of organizations that make up the Water for Colorado Coalition represent diverse perspectives and share a commitment to protecting Colorado’s water future to secure a reliable water supply for the state and for future generations.
The position will report to the Coalition Communication Lead (Western Resource Advocates) and will work closely with the Colorado and Communications Project Manager (Colorado River Sustainability Campaign) and the Coalition’s Communications Team to ensure the Coalition is meeting the goals and objectives in the Campaign Communications and Outreach Plan. This will include coordinating communications tactics across digital platforms, conducting outreach activities with partners, and applying knowledge of strategic communications to support various campaign pillars around water conservation.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Ensure the Coalition is meeting goals laid out in its communications and outreach plan
- Provide team support, strategic guidance, and project management support to further the campaign’s communications and outreach efforts
- Coordinate and develop content for the Coalition’s digital platforms:
- Plan and create engaging social media posts that advance the Coalition’s strategic communications objectives
- Develop, and lead the execution of, a plan to revive the Coalition’s instagram account
- Help create and implement an engaging strategy to communicate with the Coalition’s email base
- Coordinate partner content to publish on the Coalition website
- Help to write, edit, and maintain the Coalition’s blog and keep the website sections up-to-date with water news and partner achievements
- Work with the Coalition’s communications firm to shape coverage in Colorado news media
- Conduct outreach to media outlets, form relationships with Colorado-based reporters, and organize and staff events to raise awareness and support around Coalition priorities
- Pitch interviews and field requests from reporters and when necessary, help prepare Coalition spokespeople with talking points and rebuttals
- Write op-eds, letters to the editor, press releases, and other communications materials
- Maintain an up-to-date media contact list
- Support Coalition outreach efforts to increase the diversity of voices outside the non-profit Coalition to speak about the importance of rivers and river health, including supporting those spokespeople with messaging guidance and other communications support
Logistic and Administrative support
- Coordinate regular communications and outreach meetings and calls including follow-up on action items
- Coordinate with key partner organizations to increase coverage of the Coalition’s work on non-traditional platforms
- Commitment to water conservation and openness to join a welcoming and dedicated group of individuals that make up the Water for Colorado Coalition
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, public relations, communications, or equivalent experience
- At least two years working in communications, including experience in earned media
- Political, non-profit, and/or coalition experience desired
- Effective communicator with skills in networking and relationship building
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Comfortable pitching stories and working with subject matter experts to help them communicate in a compelling way
- Familiarity with principles of social media strategy
- Basic understanding of email engagement
- Genuine commitment to centering diversity, equity, and inclusion in conservation work; respectful and positive attitude when working with people of all backgrounds
The position will be a full-time (40 hours/week) one-year contract of $60,000 with opportunity for extension, funds-dependent.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and at least 1 relevant writing sample to email@example.com. Open until filled with priority review of applications starting on September 30, 2020.