Reference Number: 55/09/2020/JTE/SFCM/Lucknow
Project: Sustainable Farming Communities in Mint Sector in India
Position: Junior Technical Expert
Location: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
How to Apply: Please send your application in GIZ application form https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/28418.html along with the following to with the reference number in subject line.
1. a statement of suitability for this position.
2. expected salary and notice period
3. 2 pager note on any one of the topic given below
• Design an innovative strategy for financial literacy of women SHGs to enable them for better personal and business financial aspects.
• Please write a brief business plan for renting out solar pump based irrigation water to smallholder mint farmers in Barabanki, Uttar Pradesh
Mint farmers in Uttar Pradesh face a number of challenges ranging from a lack of access to knowledge on how to manage farms effectively, poor availability of quality inputs (especially high-quality mint stolons), scientific farming and processing technologies, access to markets as well as financial products & services. These challenges prevent farmers from increasing their productivity and incomes in the long run. In addition, the impact of climate change and global warming is increasing, bringing new risks and volatility in farming system. Changing weather scenario such as uncertainty in the monsoon, prolong dry spells, flash floods, decreasing ground water table etc have become new normal in UP.
Due to these challenges, farming income from mint cropping system, specially for small-holder farmers, is plummeting rapidly. Seeing the bleak future, youth are often not interested to continue farming activities.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), Symrise AG and Mars GmbH under develoPPP.de framework have made a strategic alliance and is expected to directly benefit small-holder farmers by enhancing production systems and strengthening social capital through Farmer Producer Organisations (FPO), while contributing to a comprehensive transformation of mint farming sector in Uttar Pradesh, India.
The key work packages of this projects are:
a. Foster climate and water sensitive mint production
b. Facilitate Organizational Capacity Building and entrepreneurship
c. Support technologies for farm mechanization and processing
d. Enable access to finance
e. Integrate Information Communications Technology and traceability
f. Monitoring & Evaluation, Knowledge Management
It is expected that the project interventions will bring fundamental changes to the existing system and structural changes to achieve the desired impact on mint production and the supply chain.
A. Responsibilities :
The Junior Technical Expert (Financial Services for FPCs & Agripreneurs) will be responsible for:
• Overall effective and timely implementation of the strategic alliance programme especially the work packages of capacity building of farmer groups, SHGs, FPOs, Agripreneurs of the project and enabling these “start-ups” to access the finance from formal banking and non-banking institutions
• Supporting management of procurement processes, contract management and tracking project budgets; and
• Other tasks as may be required during programme implementation.
1. Techincal coordination:
• Coordinates with external stakeholders related to FPOs and Agri business to access the finance and develop business plans for these new enterprises
• Develop the pioneering training modules for financial literacy for women Self Help Groups under the project
• Supports the Monitoring & Evaluation, baseline, midline & end lines surveys for the project
• Assists national and international advisers in carrying out their work for the mint project.
• Assists the project with all organisational and management issues.
• Regularly consults with the GIZ officer responsible for the contract and cooperation on all project activities.
• Helps to bring synergy with government institutions, private agencies, banks and NGOs.
• Contributes to formulating project action plans and implement project activities as per the result based framework and budget in collaboration with project partners.
• Responsible for organizing training events, workshops, forums, team meetings etc.
2. Communication and networking:
• Supports communication with important stakeholders regarding mint project implementation.
• Provides technical assistance for activities under capacity building & entrepreneurship and access to finance work packages.
• Contributes to knowledge management: supports collection, processing and distributing relevant information, monitoring communication and interaction between government & private partners, NGOs and society through analyses of the media, direct dialogue, participation in meetings and seminars etc.
C. Required qualifications, competencies and experience:
1. Qualifications :
• Master’s degree in Agriculture / Rural Development /Management/Natural Resource Management or other closely-related field.
2. Professional experience:
• At least 3 years’ experience in implementation and management of agriculture projects.
• At least 3 years of experience in capacity building of producer groups & Farmer Producer Organization and access to finance
• At least 3 years of experience in agri-finance, financial inclusion fields etc.
• Experience of northern India/UP will be preferable
• Sound knowledge of agri-value chains.
3. Other knowledge and additional competences:
• Excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical skills.
• Proficiency in English language.
• Excellent drafting ability and presentation and communication skills, both oral and written in English and Hindi.
• Well-versed with Computer – MS Office (word, excel, power point), and ability to operate with on-line web-based applications.
Travel: Frequent field visit within UP and outside will be required.
Duration of the contract: One Year with possibility of extension
Last date of receiving applications: 30 September 2020
Application without GIZ application form will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• GIZ supports Work-Life Balance.
• GIZ promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
Disclaimer: As per GIZ’s data confidentiality policy, candidate’s application is stored in our database for 6 (six) months and is deleted thereafter.