WASH Specialist (UNICEF)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the WASH Manager the UN WASH Specialist will undertake the following tasks:
- Provide technical support to UNICEF Kampala office to manage the KOICA funded WASH in School programme in Karamoja effectively and efficiently. Specifically,
- Support the WASH Unit to undertake procurement for the WASH in school Infrastructure in a timely and quality manner;
- Collect and prepare WASH in school programme reports for the donor including monitoring and reviewing budgets for the programme;
- Co-ordinate and support exchange visits and learning events between the Uganda programme team and Korean counterparts;
- Conduct regular field monitoring visit to project sites in Karamoja region;
- Assist in the preparation of technical documents relevant for the WASH in schools that could be used for the visibility for the program
- Coordination with UNICEF Uganda Office and KOICA Office in Kampala.
- Provide technical support to the Moroto Zonal Office to develop capacities related to WASH in schools.
- Ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date information required for effective implementation of the KOICA funded WASH in schools programme;
- Participate in inter-sectoral collaboration with other programme colleagues, Education, Health, Nutrition and Local Government to identify priority needs and appropriate strategies;
- Undertake support supervision of the programme activities in the field.
- Support the implementation of a comprehensive water, Sanitation and hygiene programme in Karamoja region.
- Strengthen the knowledge of WASH teams by providing support to implementation of the WASH in schools interventions with focus on adolescent and disability aspects of WASH programming;
- Assist in enhancing programme efficiency and effectiveness through evidence-based approaches and implementation follow-up.
- Document results and best-practices and enhance knowledge management.
- Document results and lessons learned from WASH programme implementation and promote knowledge sharing among counterparts and WASH stakeholders;
- Participate in preparation and delivery of WASH in Schools technical outcomes during fundraising, scoping, development and implementation phases of WASH initiatives.
- Provide support to KOICA and UNICEF to manage the local training, invitational training in Korea, and reporting in Korean.
- Prepare necessary procedure for the invitational training in Republic of Korea including support to KOICA to select training institution for the training, support to needs assessment to training participants and documentation, technical support to the selected training institution for developing training curriculum and implementation based on consultation with KOICA and UNICEF, and any other necessary duties;
- Write a monthly report including in Korean, which includes progress of work plan, performance indicators, budget execution and etc. for the KOICA funded WASH in School programme in Karamoja
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Civil engineering, , Water and environmental management, Public health, Social sciences, Political science or other WASH related field.
Required experience: 60 Months
- Five years of demonstrated experience in WASH sector at national and international levels in programme management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Knowledge of policies and program management in post crisis situations;
- Experience working within a UN agency and experience in or understanding and managing projects/programmes with multiple donor partners;
- Experience in mainstreaming gender equality, conflict sensitivity and human rights in designing and implementing related projects including monitoring and reporting on these cross-cutting themes and SDGs;
- Demonstrated interest in Results Based Management (RBM), monitoring and evaluation, planning, evaluation, statistics and/or research methodologies is required;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Korean(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Development programme management, Water, sanitation and environmental engineering
Area of expertise details:
- Knowledge of latest development in the field of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
- Analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
- Drive for results.
- Knowledge of computer management and applications.
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment.
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 28 September 2020