Chief Expert (Environmental Solutions)
Description of the post/job
The Geological Survey of Finland (GTK) is looking for a Chief Expert for the Environmental Solutions unit in Espoo, Kokkola, Kuopio or Rovaniemi. You will be responsible for developing environmental geology / geochemistry research in GTK. Your assignment will be strongly involved in developing national and international cooperation, project preparation and implementation with partners and customers.
A personnel security clearance may be obtained for a person chosen for an office or a post with his or her consent (Security Clearance Act 726/2014).
For more information on the security clearance procedure and the rights of the person subject to clearance, visit www.supo.fi.
Our expectations of the applicant
What we expect
• We expect you to have a PhD in geology and long previous working experience with
scientific publishing in the field of environmental geochemistry or geology
• You are capable of developing (especially catchment level) research dealing with
anthropogenic / land use influence in soil, water balance, surface water and sediments
• We also expect you to have fluent language skill in English, good cooperation and
networking skills, communication skills, readiness, ability and willingness to travel and do
• You are an adaptable team player. You take initiative and work independently. You enjoy
sparring and helping your team succeed. You are passionate about learning new things.
You work well under pressure and have good prioritisation skills. You can quickly adapt to
changes and seize opportunities. We expect you to be innovative and development-
• Capability to manage and model research results with latest methods
• Existing international network in customer and research community
• Experience in preparing funding proposals and leading international cooperation projects
• Language skill in Finnish
What we offer
GTK is an international and diverse work community where everyones input is valued. Our employees have the opportunity to influence their own work, and we offer the ability to work remotely. At GTK we are determined to renew our operations and expertise. We take care of our employees wellbeing with our extensive occupational healthcare and wide range of activities that support wellbeing at work. Find out more about us: www.gtk.fi/en/careers-at-gtk/
Information about pay
The total salary at the beginning of employment will be approximately EUR 5130 - 5470 per month.
Other information about the job
The position is permanent. The starting date is 01.01.2021 or by agreement.
For further information, please contact your future supervisor Jouni Pihlaja (tel. +358408243117) on 15.09 at 14-16 or 17.09 at 14-16 (EET).
Please send your application with your motivation letter and CV through the Valtiolle.fi service latest on 30.09.2020 at 16:15 (EET), using service key 32-687-2020.