Senior Program Officer- Arlington, VA
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International will be recruiting applicants for the position of Senior Program Officer for the Clean Energy, Environment and Water group. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications for this position are described in the attached position description.
Winrock is a recognized leader in U.S. and international development with a focus on social and environmental issues. As a mission driven, field-based organization, we believe that sustainable development is inclusive and that complex challenges require integrated solutions. Winrock embraces continuous quality improvement and a culture of impact, accountability and entrepreneurship.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The annual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include life, disability and medical insurance; retirement; and other normal Winrock benefits.
Applicants should go to Careers page at http://www.winrock.org/join-us/careers/ to submit their application, cover letter and resume for HR Recruitment Coordinator.
Winrock International is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. EOE/AA
Position Title: Senior Program Officer
LOCATION: Arlington, VA
Department: Clean Energy & Water (CEW) Group and Forestry & Natural Resource Management (FNRM) Unit
Reports to: Director, Clean Energy & Water and Director, Forestry and Natural Resource Management
The Senior Program Officer will support program and project implementation and management, as well as new business development, capture and proposal activities focusing on clean energy, global forestry and climate change projects, predominately in developing countries.
Project Implementation and Management
Manage program/project implementation for donor-funded projects, ensuring ongoing programmatic excellence
Conduct programmatic and budgetary analysis of projects
Monitor expenses, indirect cost recovery, and provide updated budget status
Liaise with Winrock’s Operations team (HR, Contracts, Procurement, etc.) to provide guidance to field teams
Provide technical direction and inputs
Manage field staff and consultants
Work with field teams to write and edit reports and other deliverables, ensuring quality of deliverables
Oversee tracking and reporting program activities
Oversee project accounting activities relating to expense reimbursements, advances, monthly payments, and wire transfers by working with Winrock’s Finance team and the field offices
Mobilize and monitor short term consultants
Develop subcontract, purchase orders, and other agreements to support project implementation
Liaise with field staff, HQ staff/support units, project partners, and donors
Provide guidance and mentoring to junior staff on project implementation and management activities
New Business Responsibilities
Represent Winrock at sector-specific local, regional or global events
Identify, develop and track new business opportunities within CEW and FNRM’s portfolios
Conduct new business capture and intelligence gathering and support donor and partner relationship building
Work closely with the CEW and FNRM teams and Winrock’s Contracts, New Business Support, HR, and other administrative support units to develop and prepare new business proposals, engagement letters, and capabilities statements
Serve as the proposal lead for Winrock proposals, including assisting with technical program design and budget development
Other responsibilities will include researching and gathering client/prospect background information and working with proposal team to write, edit, proof, coordinate and produce quality, targeted and accurate proposals
Education: Master’s degree in Energy, Forestry, Natural Resource Management, International Development, Public Administration, or related field preferred.
Experience: At least ten years demonstrated experience in clean energy (energy efficiency and renewable energy), forestry, the environment, natural resource management and economic development – demonstrating progressively more responsibility.
- Management experience in international project development and implementation, including budget and staff management, and strategic planning, is required.
- Must have experience with international donor agencies, including USAID.
- International experience, including experience working and living in a developing country, is strongly preferred.
- Experience managing innovative proposal teams and a winning track record.
- Demonstrated ability to train and mentor staff, create and manage budgets, and cooperate effectively with a range of partners.
- Ability to maintain the highest ethical standards at all timnes
- Strong project and financial management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth.
- Excellent quantitative analysis skills: ability to collect, process and analyze reports and data.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to develop clear, concise and effective project reports, papers, presentations and proposals.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently. Must demonstrate excellent attention to detail and organization skills – including ability to coordinate a variety of tasks, establish and keep deadlines, and work effectively under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including professional communication style with funders and partners, ability to interact effectively with public and private clients, and ability to maintain strict client confidentiality.
- Skilled at securing new business with bilateral and multilateral funding agencies, especially USAID – including leading outreach to existing and new business clients; generating, qualifying and establishing new business leads; and seeking/securing new business opportunities. Must demonstrate evidence of success in developing new work areas or topics and presenting them in successful proposals, especially to USAID.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people. Demonstrated management, motivational and teamwork skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is mandatory. Fluency in one or more additional languages, especially Spanish or French, is preferred.
Other: Must have established networks with organizations and clients involved in CEW and/or FNRM initiatives.
Must be willing and able to travel internationally for short-term assignments.