International Water Management Institute (IWMI) seeks applications from suitable candidates to undertake a consultancy assignment under "Wastewater Reuse in the MENA Region: Addressing the Challenges".
The Swedish International Development Cooperation (SIDA) has awarded the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) the implementation of the “Waste water reuse in the Mena Region: Addressing the challenges” project in April 2018. The project duration is four years till March 30, 2022.
The Project will contribute to reducing water scarcity, increase resilience to climate change, and mitigate the impacts of human displacement on health and livelihoods. The Project will address the challenges that currently limit opportunities to upscale and accelerate the expansion of wastewater reuse across the region. To achieve this the Project will create and support regional and national Learning Alliances in three countries (Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon). Drawing on experience in the region with existing wastewater reuse strategies, the Project will identify promising innovations and validated reuse models to resolve past management bottlenecks that constrain wastewater reuse. Plans for wastewater treatment and reuse will be developed for six settlements in a participative manner. In Egypt, Jordan, and Lebanon, strategic plans and roadmaps for scaling up of wastewater treatment and reuse will be also produced. Across the MENA region, key stakeholders will be engaged, trained, and connected in a network to accelerate the replication of locally viable reuse solutions.
The project is a multi-partner project which aims to contribute to the following outcomes and impact, by delivering the outputs listed below.
Safe reuse of treated wastewater is substantially expanded in MENA region by 2030 in alignment with SDG 6.3
Project stakeholders are better equipped for the implementation of sustainable reuse models across the MENA region
- MENA Wastewater reuse sourcebook developed to document lessons from existing innovations, validated and promising reuse models, and past management bottlenecks in and beyond the region. The case studies for the sourcebook will inform activities related to outputs 2, 3 and 4.
- Local wastewater treatment and reuse plans prepared in six settlements of different scales in Egypt, Jordan, and Lebanon. These will include conceptual designs and associated implementation and management plans for feasible wastewater treatment and reuse solutions in the selected settlements.
- National plans for expansion of wastewater treatment and reuse prepared in Egypt, Jordan, and Lebanon. The national plans will include baseline analysis, shared national visions for reuse, and a roadmap to achieve the vision.
- Stakeholders’ capacity for safe reuse of wastewater strengthened in MENA. Reuse stakeholders will be targeted, engaged, sensitized, trained, and linked with a network of wastewater stakeholder in MENA to speed up the adoption and replication of reuse solutions.
Objective of the Assignment
The consultant will assume primary responsibility for implementing the ReWater MENA project communication strategy in order to promote the project’s objectives and various activities. The person will give continuity to the communication activities already initiated along the project, which includes disseminating information and creating awareness about project activities in the MENA region, through effective communication with various partners and broader audiences.
Scope of Work
The consultant should undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee and advise partners on the development of national communication plans in alignment with the ReWater MENA project communication strategy.
- In coordination with the headquarters communications team, manage the development and production of promotional materials associated with the project, (e.g., flyers, backdrop banner, etc.).
- Finalize together with project manager and project leader, an internal document for partners on how to communicate on water reuse for different audiences.
- Set up and manage a regional project What’s up group
- Leads Media outreach and ensures ReWater MENA is highlighted in at least 5 regional news articles (this may include preparing press releases).
- Develop content-based and well documented stories, blogs and/or news (2 per month) for the project or IWMI’s websites
- In collaboration with headquarters, ensures project promotion in social media (Tweeter), keeps the project web updated and ensures support in search engine optimization (SEO) and fine-tune the web accordingly.
- Keeps track of events and opportunities for promoting project messages (e.g., regional and national meetings and conferences around water issues).
- Develop and maintain a list of media contacts.
- Help ensure consistency with IWMI’s corporate branding guidelines in all materials produced for the project.
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews and maintain records of media coverage.
- Any other duties as required.
Country of Assignment: Home based with regular visits to IWMI’s MENA office in Cairo, Egypt, for coordination
Duration: 110 days during November 2020 to 30 April 2021
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, including details of previous experience, together with a cover letter and contact information of three professional referees who may be contacted if you are shortlisted.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, communications, journalism or a related field, with knowledge of communication and marketing principles.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in communications and marketing or public relations.
- A good knowledge of natural resource and development issues in the MENA region.
- Fluent in Arabic and advanced skills in English language writing and editing.
- Proven ability to develop promotional documents, such as brochures, briefs and reports.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including presentation using Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (InDesign/Photoshop) and web development software (WordPress).
- Familiarity with social media platforms and social networking tools.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, content management systems and social media platforms.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.