Project manager (m/f/d) for the project "Regional Resource Governance in West Africa"
Mineral deposits in Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone represent an enormous opportunity for these countries. However, the extractive industries have not yet made any appreciable contribution to prosperity and sustainable development. The objective of the Regional Resource Governance Program, headquartered in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, and funded by the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development and the European Union, is that the extractive sector in the Mano River Union countries is geared to a greater degree towards the principles of social, ecological and economic sustainability. The fields of action of the project are: (1) Increasing tax revenues and preventing tax evasion and avoidance, (2) Improving state supervisory bodies that monitor compliance with social and environmental standards, (3) Supporting civil society organisations and (4) Increase the contributions of the mining sector to national and local economic development.
- Technical planning, oversight and implementation of measures in the four fields of action of the project
- Personnel responsibility for national staff
- Budget responsibility and annual budget management within the area of responsibility
- Administrative, financial and technical quality assurance
- Reporting, communications and impact monitoring
- Active networking, cooperation and positioning within the framework of international initiatives in the field of extractives governance
- Management of cooperation with the Liberian GIZ country office
- University degree in administrative, economic, political, geo and/or legal sciences
- Leadership and management experience in the implementation of complex project activities using a multi-stakeholder approach e.g. government, business, civil society
- Knowledge of the GIZ procedures for implementation with various donors, ideally also with the EU
- Experience in financial management is an asset
- Good knowledge of the West African region, the mining industry and the associated economic, social and environmental challenges
- High political sensitivity and a confident and diplomatic appearance both in international specialist bodies and at the highest political level
- Strong motivation and willingness to learn in a dynamic team environment
- Fluency in English; French and German language skills are an advantage
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations.
Monrovia is an attractive and safe location. Burglary and violent crime rates are significantly below the level of other African cities. There is a variety of opportunities for excursions and sports, as well as a small, but vibrant international community. Primary health care is available and accessible. There are a few international schools and facilities for children from the age of 1. The climate is tropical with a rainy season from June to September.
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
The willingness to travel within the region (Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia), in the country and internationally is required.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the COVID-19 virus.