Associate Water Resources Specialist
The Associate Water Resources Specialist conducts computer modeling analyses and studies of water supply and water quality in the Mokelumne, Bay-Delta, and Central Valley. This position is in the Water Supply Systems Modeling Section, which provides technical analysis of water resources issues and modeling to better predict water supply, water quality, and environmental impacts of East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) projects. The Associate Water Resources Specialist will provide technical analysis and modeling support for significant projects in the Mokelumne, the Bay-Delta, and Central Valley, and other potential water supply projects. Duties include:
• Participating in EBMUD workgroups or teams in a collaborative framework to advance EBMUD projects and initiatives.
• Researching and reviewing technical literature regarding new computer models/evaluation techniques.
• Engaging with peer groups in academia, professional organizations, and water utilities to advance the use of numerical modeling approaches in order to understand water quality issues and to optimize water system operations.
• Preparing memoranda and reports documenting the results of technical analyses, conducting presentations to communicate study findings, and maintaining appropriate data and records supporting the analysis.
• Reviewing environmental documentation and permit applications to identify potential impacts on EBMUD water supply sources and water quality.
• Preparing physically based or statistically based analyses and predictions as appropriate regarding various water supply scenarios.
• Applying, improving or developing alternate analytical tools to better predict water supply and water quality in the Mokelumne, Bay-Delta, and Central Valley, and to optimize EBMUD’s water system operations.
• Participating in meetings, workshops, and conferences with technical and management representatives of state, federal, and local water agencies, and other stakeholder groups representing Mokelumne, Bay-Delta, and Central Valley water interests.
Every employee adds value to the EBMUD team. Our employees are committed to responsible stewardship of the resources to which we've been entrusted, to act with integrity, and treat others with respect as the means of fulfilling EBMUD's mission to provide reliable, high quality water and wastewater services at fair and reasonable rates for the people of the East Bay, and to preserve and protect the environment for future generations. Competitive candidates will share these values and additionally have:
• Academic coursework in numerical methods and computer modeling of hydraulic and hydrological systems
• Experience with surface water resources system analysis
• Experience in a full-cycle process that includes creating, calibrating and/or validating, and applying models, documenting the process and results, training others in the analytical methods applied, and effectively communicating the results
• Programming experience
• Knowledge of California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and California water rights issues
• An understanding of current water resources planning issues including water conservation, water recycling, and climate change.
The salary range is $10,455 per month increasing to $10,978, $11,527, $12,103 and $12,708 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity (including transgender status), gender expression, marital or registered domestic partnership status, age for individuals age forty or older, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental or physical), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veterans status, family or medical leave status, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical condition), pregnancy disability leave status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, and other categories protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
1. A bachelor’s degree* from an accredited college or university with a major in engineering, mathematics, statistics, physics, water resources management, or a closely related field.
2. a. Two years of experience as an Assistant Water Resources Specialist with EBMUD; OR
b. Four years of experience in water resources engineering, analysis or planning that has included significant numerical modeling and computer programming responsibilities.
3. Possession of a valid California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
*A master’s degree in engineering, mathematics, statistics, physics, water resources management, or closely related field may be substituted for one year of the required experience under either experience pattern. A doctorate degree in one of the specified majors or a closely related field may be substituted for 18 months of the required experience.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. To be considered under the “equivalent combination of education and experience” provision, it is your responsibility to include in your application materials written evidence of employment performed at the level of the typical duties of this position and/or coursework in subject areas directly related to this position. For more information, see our FAQ page at http://www.ebmud.com/jobs/job-resources/job-faqs-frequently-asked-questi....
The Selection Process:
1. Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com by 4:30 p.m., Friday, September 25, 2020. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
2. Submit a copy of your undergraduate and graduate school (if applicable) transcripts. Unofficial copies will be accepted. Applications submitted without the required transcripts will not be considered. Transcripts must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. on September 30, 2020. Please submit transcripts either:
a. As an attachment to you online application; or
b. Send via mail to:
EBMUD Recruitment Division
Associate Water Resources Specialist Recruitment
P.O. Box 24055, M.S. 603
Oakland, CA 94623-1055
3. Candidates must achieve a passing score on each test part in order to advance to the next step in the selection process.
4. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, with those candidates receiving a passing score to be invited to a panel interview tentatively scheduled for October or November 2020.
5. Successful candidates will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 to 24 months.
6. The probation period for this position is 12 months. For those holding civil service status, the probation period is 6 months.
7. All employment offers are conditional, pending the results of a Live Scan background screening. All selected finalists must participate in the Live Scan background screening process to remain in consideration for EBMUD employment.
As the first step in the selection process, responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted online with the regular EBMUD application. Please provide thorough, accurate descriptions of assignments you have personally performed. Should you respond with comments such as “see application” or “see resume” instead of addressing the questions directly, your application may not be considered.