Egypt nationals: Consultancy for the Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WASH) programme
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
The overall goal of this intervention is to contribute to the reduction of the incidence of diarrhea and other water-borne illnesses by improving mothers and children hygienic practices, through adopting integrated WASH package targeting primary health care facilities and primary school.
The field coordinator will be hired to ensure implementation of joint Governorates Water Companies, MoETE, MoHP, and UNICEF activities (improving WASH facilities in Primary Health Care Units; promotion of sanitation and hygiene through schools; improve water and sanitations facilities in primary schools; improving the capacity of HCW/WW and affiliated water companies professionals to develop and implement successful public awareness programs; building the capacity of all partners at different levels, including school teachers and PHUs staff, to facilitate better planning, implementation and monitoring of the WASH activities.
Duties will entail regular monitoring, follow-up and supervision of field activities, as per the below mentioned activities. The activities that are described relate to those activities as included in the 2019-2020 Annual Work Plan, and are specific to the WASH in HCFs, School Sanitation Project and Holding Company for Water and Wastewater system strengthen. The time allocation in percentage as per the required assignment are as follows:
60% technical activities: monitoring/field visits to health units and schools and the served communities (10-15 days - depending on monthly priorities)
20% coordination activities as mentioned above
20% reporting, updating data and attending meetings
The consultant will ensure day-to-day implementation and monitoring in the field, through the following actions:
- Holding regular coordination meetings with Water Companies, MoETE and MoHP staff at the governorates level;
- Providing training to water companies staff / teachers on evidence-based planning, monitoring, and the use of data in decision making;
- Regular monitoring, follow-up and supervision of field activities, as per the below mentioned activities.
- Using new technology and social media (including WhatsApp and Facebook) to engage with the population to disseminate WASH messages and to promote the adoption of improved behaviors.
The process should be participatory, bringing together multiple stakeholders to share knowledge and insights.
ACTIVITIES, DELIVERABLES AND TIMELINES, PLUS BUDGET PER DELIVERABLE
The following core activities should be conducted by the consultant:
- Coordination with local counterparts namely governorate water companies, health directorate and education directorate to implement relevant project components as the assessment/rehabilitation of the WASH facilities in PHUs and schools by the water companies.
- Closely coordinate on school level with school management, school teachers, as well school children (through their committees) during project implementation, particularly in following up on action plans, as developed by teachers to implement proposed awareness activities within the chools.
- Follow up and coordinate with the counterparts to maintain proper financial documents as per HACT guidelines
The filed coordinate will be providing technical support to:
- Follow-up and monitor the progress of the project activities supported by the project in the targeted PHUs and schools (no. of schools and health units rehabilitated) , and providing recommendations on implementation issues. In addition, to providing technical support and guidance on the monitoring of the various project component by the Water Company, MoHP and MoETE at the governorate, district and school/PHUs levels.
- Assist in exploring mechanisms of reaching the surrounding communities with activities related to water, sanitation, hygiene and nutrition issues, through the schools, including surveying existing NGO/CDA capacities
- Follow-up and monitor the implementation of the project component related to community service
- Providing technical expertise training/coaching MoETE stakeholders
- Provide technical support to the assessment of the WASH facilities in the targeted schools in Minyia, Assiut and Fayoum
- Follow up and monitor the rehabilitation activities of the targeted schools in Minyia and Fayoum
- Follow up, monitor and provide technical support to the implementation of school activities for and by school children
- Facilitating and ensuring that cash assistance is spent as per the appropriate budget agreements/arrangements, and that liquidations are completed within a reasonable time frame
Attend Regular Meetings:
- Attending coordination and governorate steering committees' meetings to follow-up on project progress
- Attending meetings at UNICEF Cairo, as needed
- Data Management
- Collecting, maintaining and updating project data on all project interventions
- Preparing monthly reports specifying progress on all project components
Note: the monthly fee should be proposed by the consultant.
The consultancy should start in beginning of Sept. 2020 and finish in August 2021.
The deliverable of this consultancy that is linked with the payment is the monthly report. The monthly report should include the list of activities completed per month, main challenges and opportunities, and the analysis of the progress of the project(s) interventions. The analysis should be based, but not limited to, on the following indicators:
- Number of health centers equipped with WASH facilities as a result of UNICEF direct support.
- No of community members who benefited from the improved WASH facilities in the PHUs
- Number of primary schools equipped with WASH facilities as a result of UNICEF direct support.
- No of children who benefited from the improved WASH facilities in the primary schools
- Number of master trainers trained from governorates water companies.
- Number of School teachers who received training on delivering WASH awareness messages
- Number of School children receiving health awareness sessions
- Number of health units staff members (medical and non-medical) who equipped with better knowledge regarding WASH issues through UNICEF-supported programmes
QUALIFICATIONS, SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AND ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor degree in relevant field.
- Specific previous experience in field coordination in rural/urban areas, including quality skills in monitoring, supervising, and coordinating activities with different counterparts: governmental, as well as non-governmental.
- Technical competence and knowledge in the field of potable water supply and sanitation systems and technologies in schools and health facilities in urban and rural Egypt.
- Good report writing skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken Arabic and ability to comprehend and communicate in basic English.
CONDITIONS OF WORK
Under the supervision of the UNICEF WASH officer, the consultant is required to implement all the activities agreed and submit all deliverables on time and with quality. The WASH officer is responsible for ensuring that the entire process adheres to the organizational quality and ethical standards. The supervisor ensure that the consultant has access to all necessary documents.
This assignment is field based requiring full presence in the field, in the assigned governorates. Reporting and documentation can be done remotely, as per the schedule agreed with the supervisor. The consultant will be based in one of the three Upper-Egypt targeted governorates (Minyia, Fayoum or Assiut) with frequent travel to the other two governorates.
Monthly payments will be processed upon delivering and accepting monthly progress reports.
NOTE FOR CONSULTANTS AND INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTORS:
Please submit a financial offer along with your proposal, which contains the following information:
-Fee for services to be provided based on the deliverables in the Terms of Reference.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Remarks: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Mon Sep 14 2020 03:50:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Egypt Standard Time
Closing Date Sun Sep 20 2020 17:55:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time