Director (Environmental Impact; Water Stewardship, Circularity and Waste)
About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
The Director for Environmental Impact leads sustainability vision, strategy and implementation of two of Gap Inc’s key impact pillars: Waste and Water Stewardship. As a part of the Environmental Sustainability team, this position is responsible for setting and executing strategies that will enable Gap Inc. to eliminate single use plastic, build towards a circular economy and support net water positivity through global water stewardship. The role also includes responsibility for leading a team of dedicated environmental sustainability professionals.
What you'll do
- Lead the Water Stewardship, Circularity and Waste function. This includes developing the strategy, designing the roadmap, and leading the team to achieve Gap Inc.’s ambitious sustainability commitments in the areas of Waste, Circuarity and Water Stewardship. Professionally communicate strategy, progress and anticipated roadblocks. Present to key decision makers and leaders
- Identify and participate in industry working groups dedicated to solving the challenges the industry faces, influence industry direction and encourage industry collaboration
- Secure cross-functional alignment on key metrics and maintain timely reporting mechanisms/dashboards
- Work cross functionally and with external stakeholders to identify opportunities to reduce Gap Inc.'s waste generation
- Collaborate with industry peers and key stakeholders to influence improvements to global and national recycling systems + infrastructure
- Develop specific programs with brands and other business partners to address problem materials
- Monitor market developments for best practices in packaging and usage of more environmentally friendly materials. Collect data and impact stores for external reporting and communications opportunities
Who you are
- 10 years’ experience in related field and/or organization. Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline
- Strong understanding of the retail industry, specifically as it relates to social and environmental impact, sourcing and the apparel manufacturing industry
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategies and gain executive support for all environmental programs across the company. Experience with the management and tracking of environmental goals and metrics for the business, and directing cross-functional teams to assist them in developing their key performance indicators and meeting the overall corporate sustainability goals
- Demonstrated ability to understand and translate organization objectives in to measurable, sustainability initiatives for all business units. Experience with management of budget and identification of sustainability-related savings
- Familiarity with key environmental sustainability stakeholder groups and demonstrated ability to develop and maintain stakeholder relationships
- Strong organization and analytic skills. Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously under minimal supervision
- Strong people manager with excellent coaching skills and a demonstrated ability to drive results through teamwork
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.