The World Resources Institute (WRI) is a global research organization that spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, India, Mexico, Turkey and the United States. Our more than 450 experts and staff work closely with leaders to turn big ideas into action to sustain our natural resources—the foundation of economic opportunity and human well-being.
WRI was recently voted the #1 Environmental Think Tank in the world and is consistently recommended by staff as one of the “most desired organizations to work for.” In 2014, WRI was ranked one of the Top Workplaces by the Washington Post.
WRI is seeking a Spatial Analyst with demonstrated professional and research experience working with hydrology and environmental data for its Cities Water Program within the WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities (http://www.wrirosscities.org/). The position will be based in Bangalore, India.
The cities water program aims to address urban water issues based on an integrated urban water management approach. The program will help cities develop strategies that would improve water availability and help to improve water access in urban peripheries. It will help cities better prepare against flooding and drought. It will help nuance policies on water reuse, groundwater extraction and improve water availability for citizens.
The successful candidate will support the WRI team in spatial data analysis. The candidate is required to have skills in: computing; GIS; remote sensing; data analysis; review of aerial photography; visualization of imagery; interpretation of imagery; and reporting. Final candidates may be required to take a writing/analytical test.
The successful candidate will assist the project anchor in:
- Collecting and collating the spatial and non-spatial data from open and proprietary sources (including government, private, institutional and open sources)
- Creating and developing spatial and non-spatial datasets and updating them periodically
- Developing Application Program Interfaces (APIs) to use the existing data from other (open) data sources
- Analyzing the spatial and non-spatial actors involved in water management
- Establishing correlations across multiple sectoral datasets
- Developing a set of regional growth scenarios and generating spatial simulations
- Producing 2D and 3D maps and visualizations to support decision making
- Presenting the findings at various forums to invite inputs from stakeholders
- Coordinating GIS related work across multiple work areas within WRI and assisting in spatial analysis wherever needed
- Report writing and providing general support to the water team
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in hydrology, geography, environmental science, earth sciences, Geomatics, Geoinformatics, Remote Sensing or other related fields. Preference given to Master’s degree holders.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)/web-mapping, particularly ESRI ArcGIS software, AutoCAD and other Image processing software
- Sound knowledge of spatial analysis tools (Vector and Raster; 2D and 3D)
- Knowledge of Water Resources Information System (WRIS) standards, hydrometeorology, hydrogeology and natural drainage system
- Remote Sensing and knowledge of satellite sensors
- Experience with coding, particularly Python and .NET
- Experience with database development and management
- Proficiency in cartography, graphics and website development software (e.g., Adobe Photoshop/Illustration and/or web development software packages).
- Ability to produce high quality maps for publication strongly preferred
- International work experience is a plus
- Demonstrated research experience working with environmental/water data in spatial format
- Strong inter-personal skills, working with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Highly responsible and self-motivated
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work with tight deadlines
- Exceptionally good communication and interpersonal skills
Experience: At least 2 years after masters or 3 years after bachelors program
Salary: Commensurate with experience, skills and market competitive.
WRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is WRI policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.