U.S. nationals: Civil Engineer (Hydraulics/Hydrologic)
Direct Hire Authority: This position is being filled through the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Direct-Hire Authority for this occupation.
The incumbent has responsibility for performing professional engineering and scientific work involving hydraulics and hydrologic aspects of river basin studies, watershed plans, floodplain management studies, other water resources projects, and conservation technical assistance projects.
Learn more about this agency
- Directs and coordinates hydraulic and hydrologic studies for selection of project design storms and development of design floods, performs project risk analysis, and determines project back water effects.
- Directs and coordinates field examinations of hydraulic and hydrologic problems, determines potential solutions and organizes collection of data.
- Develops statistical analysis of meteorological and hydrological parameters to determine peak flow and low flow frequencies to be used in all phases of design.
- Prepares technical portions of watershed plans, river basin surveys, local implementation plans, and flood hazard reports that pertain to hydraulic, hydrologic, and engineering investigations and designs.
- Makes site investigations and feasibility studies related to hydraulic and hydrologic impacts; field check designs as prepared/approved by the State Conservation Engineer (SCE) of structural works of improvement prior to contracting.
- Coordinates and conducts necessary quality assurance reviews of planned, designed, and constructed engineering projects in the assigned area/state.
- Works within a team concept to develop and implement ways to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and quality of the products and/or services provided to internal and external customers.