U.S. nationals: Supervisory Interdisciplinary Geophysicist/Hydrologist/Geologist
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
Salary: $135,758 (Step 01) to $170,800 (Step 10);
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
This is an interdisciplinary position and can be filled as a Supervisory Geophysicist, GS-1313, Supervisory Hydrologist, GS-1315, or Supervisory Geologist, GS-1350.
Learn more about this agency
As the SCIENTIST-IN-CHARGE of the Cascades Volcano Observatory within the VOLCANO SCIENCE CENTER, some of your specific duties will include:
- Provides management oversight and scientific leadership for all work conducted by the Cascades Volcano Observatory.
- Directs an interdisciplinary, multi-institutional program of volcano monitoring, hazards recognition and assessment, hazard warnings and volcanological research that draws upon a wide variety of disciplines.
- Is delegated the responsibility to issue all warnings and notification of volcanic unrest and eruptive activity in the incumbent's observatory's geographic area of responsibility.
- Synthesizes a broad array of data sets (often incomplete), elicits expert opinion (often contradictory), and draws upon the knowledge and experience of volcanic processes to forecast activity and assign alert levels for use by the public.
- Modifies management structure and assignments within the observatory to best utilize available personnel, expertise, funding, and facilities.
- Operates a government vehicle as an incidental driver.