Environmental compliance specialist
Chemonics seeks an environmental compliance specialist for the five-year, $18.9 million USAID/Uzbekistan Agribusiness Development Activity which will work to orient the Uzbek agricultural sector to increasingly high-value products and expand it into regional markets and beyond. By supporting new value chains and scaling up work in the west and south of the country, the project will increase sales and exports in the sector. This position will be based in the project’s office in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. The environmental compliance specialist will design, implement, and manage the project’s environmental monitoring system for subrecipients, ensuring compliance with 22 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 216 USAID Environmental Procedures requirements, approved Initial Environmental Examination (IEE) recommendations, USAID-approved PERSUAP and Uzbek environmental laws and regulations. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Work with the project’s technical team to complete all required environmental screening for each planned activity
- Evaluate potential environmental impacts of proposed activities, recommend appropriate mitigation measures for implementation, and provide capacity building in environmental compliance if partner organizations do not have correct measures in place
- Oversee the implementation of the Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP) in close collaboration with the chief of party and technical team.
- Work with the project’s technical team to prepare, implement, and monitor required environmental compliance and climate risk documentation, such as Environmental Review Checklists (ERCs) for each planned activity, as necessary, for submission to USAID
- Support implementation and annual workplanning activities, amending the EMMP as appropriate
- Undergraduate degree in natural resources management, environmental protection, biology or related field required or advanced degree preferred
- Relevant professional experience may be substituted for academic accreditation
- Work experience in USAID or other international donor-funded technical assistance projects, with previous professional experience completing USAID ERCs/EMMPs, or similar environmental compliance documents used by international donors
- Experience working with subrecipients – either USAID or other international donors on environmental compliance issues including monitoring activity implementation as well as building capacity of subrecipients to carry out activities compliant with USAID environmental rules and regulations
- Good knowledge of USAID environmental regulations preferred
- Good knowledge of Uzbek environmental laws and regulations
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Uzbek required or Russian skills preferred
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Environmental Compliance Specialist” in the subject line to UzbekADArecruit@chemonics.com by September 20, 2020. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.