Program Lead (Infrastructure and Nature-based Solutions)
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyze action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats.
Our infrastructure and nature-based solutions program aims to catalyse action at scale to provide hundreds of millions of people with access to more resilient infrastructure services. In particular, by promoting the use of “systems” approach to infrastructure provision provides an opportunity to scale up the use of resilient grey infrastructure and Nature-based Solutions. By integrating NbS with infrastructure planning and operation, there is the opportunity to mobilise finance for NbS while reducing overall costs, increasing flexibility and yielding co-benefits (such as protecting biodiversity).
To exploit this opportunity, GCA works with governments, financial institutions, technical experts and the broader private sector to identity and overcome barriers to scaling-up resilient infrastructure.
The GCA seeks an experienced, ambitious and dynamic Program Lead to drive a work programme that unlocks the potential of climate resilient infrastructure. You will be responsible for the overall development and global implementation of this work programme. Areas of work include: working with countries to strengthen the resilience of their infrastructure systems; strengthening the enabling environment to shift investment towards resilient, green infrastructure and mobilizing finance for resilient infrastructure.
The Program Lead will report to the Director of Programs while working closely with other members of the Leadership Team, other Program Leads and the members of the Program team. S/he will play a key role in positioning the GCA as the foremost international organization specialising in climate change adaptation.
The Program Lead will be responsible for:
- Taking a leadership role in positioning the GCA as a key solutions broker on resilient infrastructure and nature-based solutions in climate change adaptation
- Providing leadership for the GCA’s program on resilient infrastructure and nature-based solutions, including making strategic decisions related to GCA’s directions, facilitating the implementation of GCA’s business plan and supervising staff in the program.
- Developing initiatives and projects to position the GCA with key stakeholders in the nature-based solutions and resilient infrastructure community, including maintaining active relationships with key interlocutors within these stakeholders;
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting on projects and using this to continuously steer and improve the program;
- Performing budget management so that the program’s results are achieved within the planned and forecasted financial resources;
- Expanding an international network of relevant experts and policymakers to support the delivery of the work programme
- Ensuring strong links with the other teams within the GCA, helping to foster a collaborative working environment;
- Building and managing a strong and diverse team, able to achieve the planned results and to adapt to the high level of growth and dynamics of GCA.
The GCA welcomes applications from all candidates who meet the qualifications below:
- Recognized expertise in infrastructure planning, financing and/or development;
- A Masters or PhD in economics, engineering, environmental sciences, social sciences, climate policy or a related discipline;
- At least 15 years of relevant work experience in the fields of climate change, infrastructure and/or water, with a focus on resilience or climate adaptation;
MDB experience is an asset
- Experience of building and maintaining strong networks and relationships at national and international levels;
- Experience of successfully delivering complex multi-stakeholder projects to time and within budget;
- Excellent leadership, presentation and communication skills;
- Excellent written and spoken English; proficiency in other languages is an asset.
What we offer
The GCA offers a dynamic, high-profile and international working environment in a growing organisation. You will be contributing to our global mission on climate adaptation. The post will be located in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, on a full-time basis (40 hours per week).
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit your motivation letter and CV at gca.recruitee.com before 22 September 2020. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available to start in Rotterdam and/or remotely due to COVID-19.
Equal Employment Opportunities Statement
GCA does not discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.