Program Lead (Climate Finance)
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyse action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats.
The GCA seeks a experienced, ambitious and dynamic Program Lead to help deliver the ambitious objective of mainstreaming of adaptation and resilience into financial decision making across the public and private sectors, and significantly increasing the level of finance flowing towards adaptation. This role will involve leading the Climate Finance work of the GCA in driving strategic direction, active external engagement, cross-theme coordination, and project implementation.
The key themes of the GCA’s current Climate Finance work include:
- supporting governments and central banks in mainstreaming climate risks into policies and planning;
- scaling up adaptation finance through new and innovative instruments;
- driving resilient investment flows, including through enhanced uptake of disclosure of physical climate risks by financial institutions.
In addition, the GCA is looking to scale up its support for countries through country offices, and collaboration with multilateral organisations, including MDBs and the GCF. The role will involve an increasing emphasis on Climate Finance as a cross-cutting agenda, supporting the work of the GCA’s thematic and sectoral teams. Our partners in this work include national governments, multilateral organisations, international public sector platforms, development finance institutions, private finance institutions, institutional investors, central banks, and international non-governmental organisations.
The Program Lead will be responsible for:
- Taking a leadership role in positioning the GCA as a key solutions broker on climate finance, with a focus on climate adaptation;
- Providing leadership for the GCA’s program on Climate Finance, including making strategic decisions related to GCA’s directions, facilitating the implementation of GCA’s business plan and supervising staff in the program;
- Developing initiatives and projects to position the GCA with key stakeholders in the climate finance community, including maintaining active relationships with key interlocutors, including MDBs, within these stakeholders;
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting on projects and using this to continuously steer and improve the program;
- Performing budget management so that the program’s results are achieved within the planned and forecasted financial resources;
- Overseeing related research, projects, and collaborations, including holding responsibility for a detailed work plan and budget, flexibly adapting activities where necessary to respond to changing contexts;
- Ensuring the successful development and delivery of the portfolio of international multi-stakeholder projects within the work program to time and maintaining effective value for money;
- Coordinating with GCA thematic and regional leads to ensure a holistic approach to cross-cutting finance-related activities and objectives;
- Expanding GCA’s international network of MDB and other relevant experts and policymakers to support the delivery of the program;
- Ensuring the effective communication of GCA’s work to promote visibility and engagement, including through a proactive use of virtual platforms;
- Building and managing a strong and diverse team, able to achieve the planned results and to adapt to the high level of growth and dynamics of GCA.
The GCA welcomes applications from all candidates who meet the qualifications below:
- A Masters or PhD in economics, finance, environmental and social sciences, climate policy or a related discipline;
- At least 15 years of relevant work experience in the fields of climate change, climate economics, natural resource management, sustainable finance, or a related area, with a focus on resilience and adaptation;
- MDB experience, with recognition in the field of climate finance is an asset;
- Experience of successfully delivering complex multi-stakeholder projects to time and within budget;
- Excellent leadership, presentation and communication skills;
- Excellent written and spoken English; proficiency in other languages is an asset.
What we offer
The GCA offers a dynamic, high-profile and international working environment in a growing organisation. You will be contributing to our global mission on climate adaptation. The post will be located in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, on a full-time basis (40 hours per week).
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit your motivation letter and CV at gca.recruitee.com before 22 September 2020. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available to start in Rotterdam and/or remotely due to COVID-19.
Equal Employment Opportunities Statement
GCA does not discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for sharing this vacancy with suitable candidates.