Senior Program Officer (Locally Led Action)
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyse action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats.
A major challenge in adaptation, and missed opportunity, is to systematically incorporate locally-led design, planning, and implementation into adaptation initiatives. The COVID pandemic sweeping across the globe has shown the fragility of initiatives that don’t take into account local planning, consultation, assessment, design and implementation of important initiatives. The picture is not all bad, however. Countries and communities that implemented systematic consultation and partnerships with communities exhibited more robust and sustainable results. Strong locally-led action is essential for the sustainability of adaptation interventions. Best practice and positive examples should be shared with countries implementing adaptation solutions.
The GCA’s global Center of Excellence in Locally-Led Action in Dhaka, Bangladesh to fill the above needs and strengthen adaptation action.
The GCA seeks a proactive and experienced Senior Program Officer to shape the delivery of the GCA’s Locally-Led Action strategy, projects, and initiatives for the Center of Excellence in LLA. This will include identification of the best practice example of Locally-Led Action to enhance the resilience of communities, through active involvement of the population. The ultimate aim of this work is to support GCA’s efforts to contribute towards the GCA’s goal of reducing global climate risks.
The Senior Program Officer will be responsible for developing the strategy for the Center of Excellence, Locally-led Action through extensive internal and external consultations with key global, regional, and national stakeholders. The Senior Program Officer’s key responsibilities include:
- Working with countries to strengthen locally-led action assessment and consultations;
- Identifying policy bottlenecks to implementation;
- Supporting mobilization of resources for locally-led action;
- Contributing substantively to the development the GCA’s Center of Excellence and work programme on Locally-led Action including the detailed work plan and budget;
- Identifying opportunities and creating proposals for overcoming barriers to locally led action, including gender-based interventions;
- Ensuring the successful development and delivery of the international multi-stakeholder projects within the work program within time and budget; monitoring value for money;
- Contributing to the development of a high-profile and ambitious agenda on locally-led action;
- Delivering high-quality research to identify and disseminate good practices, and supporting peer-learning on locally-led actions
- Expanding an international network of relevant experts and policymakers to support the delivery of the work programme;
- Ensuring strong links with the other teams within the GCA, helping to foster a collaborative working environment in which knowledge, information and best practices are shared and used for continuous improvement;
- Support the GCA’s global, regional, and national outreach activities.
The GCA welcomes applications from all candidates who meet the qualifications below:
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience, including in the fields of climate change, with an emphasis on locally-led action;
- Strong expertise in locally-led action, planning, financing and/or development;
- A Masters’ degree or PhD in economics, engineering, environmental sciences, social sciences, climate policy or a related discipline;
- Experience of building and maintaining strong networks and relationships at national and international levels;
- Experience of successfully delivering complex multi-stakeholder projects to time and within budget;
- Excellent written and spoken English; proficiency in other languages is an asset.
What we offer
The GCA offers a dynamic, high-profile and international working environment in a growing organisation. You will be contributing to our global mission on climate adaptation. The post will be located in Dhaka, Bangladesh or in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, on a full-time basis (40 hours per week).
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit your motivation letter and CV at gca.recruitee.com before 18 September 2020. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available to start.
Equal Employment Opportunities Statement
GCA does not discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for sharing this vacancy with suitable candidates.