Riverkeeper seeks a staff attorney for its Legal Program, reporting to the Legal Program Director. The Staff Attorney will expand Riverkeeper’s presence and effectiveness in the mid to upper Hudson River watershed and the New York City drinking water watershed through litigation, advocacy, public education, and public outreach in order to advance Riverkeeper’s policy goals of fishable, swimmable waterways. The position requires significant travel throughout the Hudson River Valley, and a commitment to attend meetings and appointments that may be outside of normal business hours.
Riverkeeper is looking for a qualified environmental litigator and advocate with an exceptional commitment to the environment and a strong academic and experiential-learning record.
All candidates must:
- Be admitted to practice law in New York State, or be qualified to be admitted upon motion, or sit for the next administration of the New York State bar exam if necessary;
- Have a strong commitment to Riverkeeper’s mission and goals and possess a general familiarity with non-profit environmental organizations;
- Demonstrate familiarity with federal administrative and environmental law;
- Have at least 2 years of litigation experience;
- Have excellent writing, research and communication skills;
- Be energetic, creative, well organized, independent, hard-working, personable, and have a sense of humor; and
- Be able to maintain a flexible work schedule, be willing to work some evenings, and frequently travel throughout the Hudson Valley for meetings.
Candidates will be preferred who also have:
- Training or experience in environmental policy;
- Training or experience in public oral advocacy;
- Training or experience with the Clean Water Act, RCRA, NEPA, NY SEQRA, CERCLA, and/or the Atomic Energy Act.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive and commensurate with experience.
January 20, 2017
Please submit your résumé, cover letter and writing sample, not to exceed ten pages, to "> . Please write STAFF ATTORNEY in the subject line. Phone calls will not be accepted.