Job no: 502108
Work type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene), NO-2
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position:
The WASH Officer coordinate all Hygiene promotion/mobilisation activities in the camps; Provide Technical guidance to the sector and partners on the planning, implementation and monitoring of mobilization campaigns; Review and develop IEC materials; Lead the development and messaging for contingency planning; Provide technical support to partners to plan, implement and analyse Knowledge Attitude and Practice (KAP) assessments and Support the finalization and implementation of the National WASH in Schools standards
Key expected results:
The effective implementation of this role will ensure positive coordination and harmonization amongst sector partners, and with other sectors in the camps, as well as having response plans and materials ready in the event of an outbreak. The candidate will ensure effective and participatory relations with government partners and the effective participation of representatives in discussions on strategy, materials and planning.
Key Accountabilities and Duties and Tasks:
- The key areas of responsibility of this role comprise:
- Lead any Hygiene Promotion/Mobilisation Task Forces in the camps and at a national level
- Lead strategic planning of mobilization activities in the camps
- Coordinate all Hygiene promotion/mobilisation activities (implementation and monitoring) of community mobilization activities at camp and national levels
- Support the development and standardisation of key WASH messages in collaboration with the Health sector
- Integrate and align Za’atari and Azraq network construction planning initiatives with wider camp community mobilization initiatives
- Review current IEC materials to assess and coordinate with various stakeholders (including the Ministries of Health and Education) to finalise and endorse the revised standardized IEC materials
- Conduct a review of UNICEF’s various Hygiene Kits and revise as necessary
- Provide Technical guidance to the sector and partners on the planning, implementation and monitoring of mobilization campaigns
- Support the training of community workers on WASH messages and monitoring (including the development of training materials and packages)
- Support contingency planning initiatives (e.g. messages for storms, Hepatitis and cholera outbreaks etc)
- Lead the implementation of the Knowledge Attitude and Practice (KAP) assessments providing technical support and coordination for the planning, design, implementation and analysis of the assessment results
- Support the finalization and implementation of the National WASH in Schools standards
- Contribute to the development of key Advocacy issues and strategies of Health and Education
- Provide inputs into any necessary reports for the section and sector.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate:
Education: University degree in one of the following areas: Public Health, Engineering, Environment, Sociology, Community Development or other human/development-focused studies or discipline relevant to these
- At least two years of professional experience working with the UN, NGO, private sector, health sector or national government in the area of Public Health or Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent analytical and management skills
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic environment.
Considered an asset:
- At least one years’ experience in a health-related environment
- Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication)
- Demonstrated coordination experience
- Strong communication skills
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Arabic require
Competencies of Successful Candidate:
- Diversity and inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Relating and Networking
- Applying Technical Expertise
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Advertised: Jordan Standard Time
Applications close: Jordan Standard Time