At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
The Environment Officer will support the implementation of strategic objectives of the Rainforest Alliance with respect to biodiversity conservation, climate change, and sustainable land use management within the organization and within its programs and activities in close coordination with Environment and other Theme Leads. The Environment Officer will be part of the Global Themes & Partnership team within the Rainforest Alliance.
Support thematic knowledge implementation and consistent application in sector, regional and advocacy strategies across the organization:
- Provide support to projects on environmental issues such as climate change education and training, biodiversity conservation, deforestation, climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies;
- Support environmental theme leads with regional strategy, project development and implementation and developing technical capacity on priority themes;
- Support in the development of M&E frameworks to facilitate the measurement of progress on environmental topics;
- Input and advice on project proposals to ensure projects follow general strategies around environmental sustainability and natural resource management;
- Provide general support and guidance to staff and external audiences by providing prompt, informative communications to general queries on Environment themes;
- Support in the development of training and guidance material to be used for Training of Trainers; and
- Manage and coordinate development of internal and external Environment team communications and messaging, including webpage updates, blogs, press releases and social media outlets in close coordination with the Communications team.
Team administration / reporting / networking
- Manage programmatic reporting (workplan and project achievements) and coordination of yearly planning processes (annual or multi-year workplans);
- Coordinate logistics for Environment team at international conferences, tradeshows, workshops, UN meetings and trainings;
- Coordinate and lead meetings with partners and clients, and prepare meeting summaries/minutes;
- Prepare, process and monitor payment requests, invoices and related materials;
- Support partnership development on global level through networking, representing RA in conferences and platforms, and facilitating meetings with both ongoing and new industry and NGO collaborations at national and international levels; and
- Support donor reporting.
- Masters degree in Environmental Science, Agronomy, Natural Resource Management or related studies;
- 2-3 years hands on experience in environmentally related work, preferably with experience in producing countries;
- Knowledge of certification programs in the context of environmental issues and sustainability practices;
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills;
- Fluency in verbal and written English required; Spanish, French or Portuguese are a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals;
- Initiative, self-motivated, resourceful, detail-oriented, dependability, strong attention to detail Ability to execute work independently;
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook with a demonstrated experience in accounting software and working knowledge of PowerPoint; and
- Ability to travel a minimum of 20% per year, nationally and internationally.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: September 21, 2020
Only candidates authorized to work in one of the locations of Rainforest Alliance will be considered (check out our map on the career page)
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.