Bangladesh nationals: Research Assistant
UNDP supports Bangladesh to become a nation resilient to shocks and stresses related to disaster and climate change, which is one of the three pillars of Bangladesh’s Seventh Five Year Plan (7FYP 2016-2020). The 7FYP will be implemented in a new development context shaped by the country’s Middle Income Country status and adoption of new global drivers i.e. SDGs, Sendai Framework and Paris Agreement on climate change. UNDP’s Country Programme Document for 2016-2020 is under formulation which will be aligned to this new context. The resilience activities and projects of UNDP Bangladesh are managed by the Climate Change, Environment and Disaster Cluster (CCED).
UNDP has been a long-standing and strong partner of GoB in the area of environmental sustainability, natural resource management, biodiversity conservation, climate change adaptation and mitigation. In the next five years, UNDP will further intensify its efforts with GoB and stakeholders in innovating sustainable solution and scaling up its efforts in environmental governance and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
UNDP’s current and prospective work with GoB include sustainable and adaptive management of ecosystems including ecologically critical areas (ECAs), carbon sequestration through coastal afforestation and reforestation; and pollution control and biodiversity conservation. UNDP will work on these areas, as prioritized by the government, through high quality policy advice, resource mobilization, capacity building, programme management, knowledge management and innovation, consistent with UNDP’s mandate.
Under the supervision of the Programme Specialist (Environmental Sustainability & Energy), the Research Assistant will assist in conducting research, supporting project formulation, and support communication activities for UNDP Bangladesh’ resilience activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support in project formulation
- Drafting of project concept notes, presentations and other documents;
- Assist in authoring research reports, briefing notes, policy papers, and other project communication materials as required;
- Managing appointments and coordinating with external contributors and agencies;
- Draft ToRs, support recruitment and procurement of consultants, project staffs and coordinate consultants when needed;
- Support in conducting various project relevant mission;
- Other duties as required;
Assist in conducting and coordinating project relevant research
- Review of literature and relevant document relevant to the program;
- Collection and collation of primary and secondary data and information and analysis;
- Develop bibliographies, including preparation of citation and reference;
- Transcribing and translating interviews;
- Identify and develop possible areas for partnership with universities, research institutions, Think Tanks, NGOs, private sector, etc.;
- Keeping a record of all relevant research and relevant documents.
Support to coordinate various media and advocacy initiative to assure understanding and visibility of the project.
- Support for responding to requests for information by facilitating access to relevant UNDP materials;
- Support to prepare and disseminate high quality communication and publicity materials, including online disclosure of required information;
- Support to organize awareness, advocacy and result sharing/dissemination events, exposure visits, etc.;
- Regularly monitor and keep an overview on for national and environmental sustainability, ecosystem management, and environmental governance innovations;
- Assist knowledge management of the CCED Cluster;
- Participate in meetings, conferences/workshop/roundtable, training, etc. prepare meeting minutes, conference/workshop proceedings, summary of events, etc. and perform any other task as directed by the UNDP.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP Practice Areas;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Management or Environmental Engineering, Environmental Economics, Natural Resource Management, Geography, Forestry, or closely relevant field.
- Preferably 2 (two) years’ experience in different research/development related supportive activities in the environmental sustainability field or related field;
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages, (i.e. MS word, excel, PowerPoint etc.) and experience in the use of spreadsheet and database packages are required;
- Previous experience in similar positions will be an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Bangla, both written and verbal.