Environmental Defence Canada (EDC) (environmentaldefence.ca) is a leading Canadian advocacy organization that works with government, industry and individuals to defend clean water, a safe climate and healthy communities.
We seek a highly-committed, experienced and outgoing Program Manager to lead Environmental Defence’s efforts to protect Ontario’s natural heritage and advocate for smart growth and sound land-use planning. In particular, the Program Manager will be responsible for responding to provincial land-use policy developments and planning proposals, supporting and coordinating the activities of environmental and community groups in Ontario, and leading efforts to support the protection of Ontario’s environmental features and natural areas.
In the last two years, the Ontario government has done significant damage to Ontario’s environmental legislation. They gutted the Endangered Species Act, eased the way for the aggregates industry, pushed multiple omnibus bills through the legislature, weakened the Environmental Assessment Act, made changes to the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, and approved dozens of Minister’s Zoning Orders. They have threatened the Greenbelt multiple times, put drinking water at risk, opened up green space and prime agricultural land for development, and equated environmental protection with ‘red tape.’ They have also revived plans for multiple highways, paving the way for more urban sprawl.
We need to speak up, and make it clear that Ontario's environment is not for sale, and must be protected.
- Support and liaise with allied organizations and support allies and EDC’s efforts to keep environmental legislation from being further undermined and keep destructive projects from going forward
- Work with the steering committee to coordinate province-wide actions/events
- Liaise with elected officials, representatives, decision-makers and staff from the provincial government, opposition parties and municipalities to advance environmental protection.
- Undertake research and develop briefing notes, reports and primers; make government submissions; and represent EDC in legislative, regulatory, and policy processes.
- Monitor and comment on policy developments and breaking news on environmental and land-use policy, environmental laws and regulations.
- Work with the communications team at EDC on media outreach and act as a spokesperson on relevant issues.
- Develop and contribute to regular blogs, opinion editorials, letters to the editor, reports, press releases, statements, etc.
- Develop relationships with and represent EDC in meetings with journalists, thought leaders, and other environmental organizations in Ontario
- Work with the engagement team at EDC on tactics to engage EDC supporters and Ontarians on relevant issues, including e-blasts, online petitions and public events.
- Work with the development team to identify grant opportunities and contribute to grant writing and report writing as needed.
- Support movement building and other Environmental Defence campaigns.
- Two to five year’s experience with policy development, political campaigns, advocacy campaigns, and/or government relations
- Solid understanding of environmental issues, especially land-use planning
- Strong understanding of Ontario’s media and political landscape
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communication; experience with media an asset
- Eligibility or standing as a Registered Professional Planner a plus
- College or university degree in a related field
- Commitment to Environmental Defence Canada’s vision and mission
- Outgoing personality and enthusiastic communicator
- Flexibility and ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Great attention to detail
- A drive for success
- Thrives in a team environment
This is a full time position. We offer a benefits package after a three-month probationary period.
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 18th, 2020.
Please direct your application BY EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org . Include “Ontario Environment Program Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Environmental Defence is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those contacted for an interview will receive a reply.