Center of Excellence WASH (Research Intern)
Job Title: Center of Excellence WASH - Research Intern
Location: Washington, DC or Remote
Level of Effort: 40 hours per week; 3 months, with possibility of extension (part-time availability may be considered)
Start: January 2017
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global humanitarian organization and home to teams of humanitarian and development professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world's most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: Relief International (RI) is currently recruiting for an intern to assist in technical research for international WASH programs which serve some of the most vulnerable in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. With a focus on the nexus between water and conflict, and the sustainable application of innovative technologies to overcome traditional challenges of the Water and Sanitation Sector, RI offers vulnerable communities the tools to reduce water borne diseases and improve well-being.
The Research Intern will be supporting the following activities:
- Development of guidance for minimum technical standards for RI WASH sector
- Development of sector specific tools with a focus on System Analysis applied to the WASH sector
- Development of staff capacity work plan
- Preparation of position paper of RI in the WASH sector
- Preparation of quarterly program learning notes
- Technical research to support proposal development (that may include best practice in water management in water-scarce regions; innovative technologies for water-saving and conservation, freshwater production and remote management of water resources to help conflict resolution in fragile contexts etc.).
- Perform other duties as assigned and participate in skype team meetings.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- In process on Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Engineering or related fields required, pursuing Master’s Degree preferred.
- Interest in innovative technologies in the water sector.
- Research experience with ability to demonstrate initiative and self-motivation
- Written and oral fluency in English is required.
Salary: Unpaid internship; monthly transportation stipend and academic credit available
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation