Job Title: Program Coordinator
Work Base: Pemba, Cabo Delgado, Mozambique
Responsible to: Programme Manager
Duration: 10 months
Start date: TBC - National Position
The MENTOR Initiative, is about to start an innovative program in the context of the COVID-19 response in Cabo Delgado, Mozambique. The very volatile security situation is leading to serious limitations in humanitarian access, and compounding the effects of the on-going COVID-19 and disease outbreaks in the region. The program, working as part of a larger INGO education program, is to conduct the delivery and monitoring of novel disinfection kits to 18 schools across four districts in Cabo Delgado. The program also entails training and support of IEC and hygiene promotion, as well as cross sectoral coordination.
- Security Management
In close collaboration with the Country Director and HQ Program manager (PM), the program coordinator is responsible for overall security management:
- Ensure solid networking and in depth and regular information collection on security situations in and around the area of responsibility.
- In coordination with the logistics team, oversee that security related logistical support for the operations is adequate and functional.
- Brief the Mozambique CD and PM on a daily basis on the security situation in the area of responsibility and provide input to the MENTOR Initiative security guidelines for Cabo Delgado.
- Oversee and manage any security incidents in the area of responsibility – including evacuation or hibernation.
- If applicable, ensure the strict respect of general security rules (vehicle usage, curfew, appropriate behaviour etc) by all MENTOR team members present in the base of his/her responsibility.
- Programme support:
With technical support from the MENTOR HQ, the Program Coordinator is responsible for organising and managing activities in the target area. This includes:
Prior to distribution, project coordinator will work closely with MISAU/MoE, education/health/WASH cluster coordinator to clearly explain the aims and objective of the programme. The target schools for receiving the disinfection kits will be in conjunction with prime INGO.
With technical support from the Mozambique team and MENTOR HQ, the Program coordinator will also oversee the recruitment and training of surveyors to conduct monitoring of disinfection kits. The program coordinator will also, with support from MENTOR HQ, develop IEC to be provided to the targeted 18 schools, as well as the hygiene promotion training to be conducted prior to the disinfection kit distribution.
- Support all logistical aspects of distribution of C-19 disinfection kits and all other related material.
- As required, provide logistically related information for proposals and budget designs for new grant submissions if applicable.
- Direct line management of MENTOR finance officer and local programme surveyors and ensure that work schedules and action plans are developed and adhered to.
- Oversee that survey data collection and data entry is carried out in a timely manner.
- If required, support with the implementation of operational research studies in the areas under his/her responsibility.
- Close collaboration with other working NGO partners and stakeholders in the target area.
- Participate in regular progress reports and discuss planning outlines and related operational support needs at weekly, or more frequent (as needed) planning meetings both internally and with the prime INGO partner as requested, to ensure full support from all team members.
- Develop IEC, in collaboration with HQ technical support, which is standardised as per national guidelines on hygiene promotion and hand washing.
- Deliver training to hygiene promotion focal points and guards of school on encouraging hand washing and BCC.
- Identify gaps and needs in WASH and health activities in target area and liaise with associated partners for building networks and relations for potential future programmes
- Operational support and general base management:
- Assist the Mozambique finance coordinator, Grants manager and PM with the proper implementation of finance field system to ensure that timely and accurate financial reporting is sent to HQ as required, as well as oversee adequate cash flow and regular follow up on budget expenditure and planning.
- Oversee that standard MENTOR administrative procedures and forms are adhered to and used for regular administrative matters and, in particular, in regards to the initial set up of the (shared) field base including registration of the organisation and/or setup of MoUs with relevant local authorities.
- In close collaboration with Mozambique country director and local finance officer, ensure initial proper implementation of logistics procedures for warehousing and asset management, communications systems and maintenance, local procurement and overall programme logistics support for programme activities.
- With the assistance from the Country Director and PM, ensure that HR management systems for the MENTOR mission in Mozambique are adhered to through transparent recruitment procedures, respect of internal rules and regulations, performance reviews, complaints systems, salary scale, local payroll etc.
- With support from the Country Director and PM, overall responsible for the respect and adherence by expat and local team members present in the base to the MENTOR code of conduct including policies in regards to sexual harassment.
o Organise regular general team meetings, technical meetings as well as operational support meetings
o Provide input to MENTOR internal situation reports
o Provide input to the MENTOR regional network (Angola, Mozambique etc.) if needed
o Assist the PM with field related information for external reports and/or donor proposals.
o Participate in external meetings related to general or security context in the areas of responsibility.
o Organise and participate in technical meetings with health/WASH/education stakeholders in the target area.
o Ensure a transparent and efficient exchange of data, context reports etc with relevant stakeholders.
- From time to time and as requested work with MENTOR Initiative Grants Management Team to share best practice across the organization.
- Includes the possibility of transfer to another similar post in another MENTOR Initiative country programme within the period of this contract agreement.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the CD and agreed with the Director.
How to apply
Send a CV and letter of motivation to