Senior Analyst (Impact Investing & Natural Climate Solutions)
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG) founded in 1985, is a registered investment adviser and wholly owned subsidiary of John Hancock/Manulife Financial Corporation. HNRG is based in Boston, Massachusetts and is comprised of two core businesses; Hancock Timber Resource Group (HTRG) which develops and manages timberland investments and Hancock Agricultural Investment Group (HAIG) which develops and manages farmland investments. HNRG develops and manages diversified agricultural and timberland portfolios for a global client base.
Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG) creates value through the sustainable management of natural resource investments. Traditional HNRG timberland and agriculture investments have always emphasized good stewardship of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors as important contributors to achieving long-term market rates of return. As the impacts of climate change become clearer and the need for mitigation and adaptation from natural climate solutions become more pronounced, HNRG is determined to offer its clients opportunities to invest in forests and farms that prioritize environmental and social impact equal to or above financial returns.
HNRG may hire for this position at a Senior Analyst level based on experience. The Senior Analyst, Impact Investing & Natural Climate Solutions will enhance HNRG’s Sustainability and Responsible Investing (SRI) capabilities and collaborate with professionals throughout HNRG in Sustainability, Business Development, Client Accounts, Economic Research, Value Added Services, and Resource Planning. The position will report to and support the Director, Carbon Solutions in developing impact-first timberland and farmland investment opportunities that deliver on one or more of HNRG’s five SRI priorities: Climate stability, Ecosystem Resiliency, Watershed Protection, People Empowerment, and Community Prosperity.
The ideal candidate will be someone who combines domain expertise in sustainable finance with technical competencies in investment analysis and/or financial modeling, demonstrated experience developing pitch decks and communicating value propositions, and a deep appreciation for the role that nature-based solutions can play in mitigating and adapting to the realities of climate change. Experience with land-based real asset investments is a major plus. The position is targeted to be located at HNRG’s headquarters in Boston, MA; however, flexibility may be granted to work elsewhere in the United States, either remotely or from another established HNRG office.
Essential Individual Responsibilities:
- Support the Director, Carbon Solutions in buildout of the impact-first investment thesis
- Prepare technical analysis and background materials supporting impact investment product development and structuring
- Interact with timberland and agriculture investment teams to identify and assess investment strategy and product risks and opportunities
- Support the preparation and dissemination of reporting on relevant investment thesis materials to ensure product development partners have access to accurate and relevant market and investment thesis information
- Assist in investor outreach to facilitate expansion of HNRG’s B2B investor and business network
- Support the Director, Carbon Solutions in developing and communicating a value proposition to Institutional Investors seeking to make impact-first investments
- Research issuers that may be interested in impact-first investments
- Help build and maintain a range of relevant knowledge and information resources to enable access to high quality intelligence, analysis, and data to inform current and future climate and impact-first investment strategies
- Conduct research and analysis on federal, state, local, international, and private sector mechanisms for market-based, natural climate solutions
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field with 4-8 years of relevant experience; Advanced degrees in relevant field a plus, as are CFA and/or CAIA designations
- Demonstrated appreciation for and personal commitment to the role that natural climate solutions can play in mitigating and adapting to climate change
- General knowledge of investment management and domain expertise in sustainable finance are essential. Experience with any of the following are a plus: alternative asset classes, real assets, forestry, agriculture, impact investing, sustainable investing, ESG investing, carbon markets, or conservation finance
- Understanding of the investment relevance of sustainability, climate science and policy, natural climate solutions, and carbon sequestration
- Strong client orientation and advocacy and ability to build client trust and long-term relationships
- Ability to interact and build relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization and with external parties
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines, work collaboratively and have strong communication skills
- Excellent working knowledge and practical application of financial principles, policies, procedures and accounting
- Mature and willing to approach problem solving with openness and willingness to understand others’ perspectives with the goal of achieving a workable solution
- High degree of self-motivation and professionalism and work as a team player
- Excellent research and communication skills and ability to present data-driven analyses in a clear and concise manner (verbal and written)
- Organizational and project management skills commensurate with prioritizing, managing, and completing multiple projects and deadlines concurrently
- Applying sound judgment in decision making with a strong orientation to detailed and high-quality work
This job description does not represent a comprehensive listing of job duties that are required of the employee performing this role. We reserve the right to change duties or assign additional duties at any time with or without notice.
Hancock Natural Resource Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, a team-oriented work environment and growth opportunities for its employees.
Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG) is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. The Company is committed to employ, train, promote and compensate individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability without regard to race, color, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, veteran or marital status.
If you are ready to unleash your potential it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of June 30, 2020, we had $1.2 trillion (US$0.9 trillion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $30.6 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.