Oxford Policy Management (OPM) is seeking to recruit a full-time Senior WASH Consultant to join our global water team based in our New Delhi, India office. Detail about the role is given below, and more information about OPM can be found at the end of this document.
OPM has had a full time office in New Delhi for seven years (and have worked in India for nearly three decades), with nearly forty full time staff and dozens more project staff. We have satellite offices in Bihar, Odisha, Assam, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Kerala, and an in house data team that run large scale quantitative surveys and qualitative studies. More information on OPM India’s projects can be found here.
More about Oxford Policy Management (OPM) and the Water Team
You would be joining the six current members of the global water team. Our core expertise lie in economics and finance, alongside a strong cross-sectoral reputation for process and impact evaluation. Our main clients include the World Bank, DFID and UNICEF.
Recent WASH projects in South Asia include:
• India: i) Evaluation of the Stop Diarrhoea Initiative, focused on diarrhoea prevention, control and treatment in India, Pakistan and Nigeria. This includes an impact evaluation component in India with a WASH component (client: Save the Children) ii) Award of a preliminary grant by the 3ie towards development of a RCT for evaluation of a behavioural intervention for increasing latrine use
• Pakistan: Randomised Controlled Trial of a Community Led Total Sanitation intervention in rural Pakistan, focused on the impact of follow-up engagement with communities after triggering (client: DFID)
• Bangladesh: Process evaluation of DFID’s WASH Results Programme, a global £90m results-based finance programme including Bangladesh and Pakistan (client: DFID)
Surveys and studies
• India: Study of the political economy of sanitation in rural Maharashtra, India. It looked at the political drivers for the success of the Total Sanitation Campaign in rural Maharashtra, contrasting it with earlier attempts to implement it in other states (client: World Bank)
• Pakistan: Surveys on sustainability of WASH services in Bangladesh and Pakistan, which were nationally representative and included mapping of water points, household interviews focusing on different water points used and sanitation behaviour (client: DFID)
• Bangladesh: Study of faecal sludge management in Dhaka, Bangladesh, including household surveys in slums and city-wide, focus group discussions, transect walks and political economy analysis (client: World Bank)
• Bangladesh: Value for Money study of UNICEF WASH programme, including calculation of cost-efficiency and cost-effectiveness indicators for tubewells construction and sanitation interventions (client: DFID)
• Pakistan: Value for Money study of DFID-funded humanitarian WASH programme, focused on the response to then 2010 floods, including a focus on economy and cost-efficiency (client: DFID)
Detail about the role
To give you a flavour for the role, here are some of the things you would have done after a year of working for OPM:
• Presented the results of a study of the performance of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in 15 districts, which you led for the client, at a conference
• Advised a water utility manager on options for extending on-plot connections to the poorest households, as part of an OPM programme of utility support you are managing
• Travelled to Ghana to carry out data collection for OPM’s support on sanitation operational research for UNICEF.
Your responsibilities will be centred on the following tasks and functions:
• Undertake a broad range of technical work on the WASH-related consultancy assignments in India (50% of your time)
• Lead the strategic development of the OPM’s markets in the Indian WASH sector. This entails expanding our networks with clients/partners, and developing project proposals with support from water team colleagues (20% of your time)
• Manage projects to a high-level of quality, professionalism and rigour, ensuring that projects are delivered to maximise OPM’s social (i.e. non-profit) impact objectives (20% of your time)
• Undertake technical work on water team projects in other countries around the world (10% of your time)
• In addition,
- as a senior member of the India office, contribute to the growth of the office’s business and mentor more junior staff on technical and managerial matters
- contribute to the water team’s intellectual capital through capacity building of colleagues and academic and non-academic publications
Successful applicants must have:
• An excellent academic record including a Master’s or PhD in a relevant subject (e.g. economics, engineering, or a relevant social science discipline)
• Extensive experience working in the Indian WASH sector, including an excellent understanding of federal and state level WASH policy and practice
• A track record of relevant analytical work, preferably regarding the evaluation of water supply and sanitation policy implementation
• A solid understand of the WASH consultancy market in India
• The ability to be a team player and use initiative to handle competing demands
• The ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients both verbally and in writing
• The ability to be flexible and take on new challenges
Additional preferred experience:
• Experience of developing project proposals and preparing project budgets over US$ 100,000
• Experience of project management, including the management of large project teams
• Interest in also working on water security projects
This is a permanent position based in our offices in New Delhi, India. The role will involve regular travel to different states in India to ensure effective design and implementation of projects (c.20% of time spent travelling), and occasionally overseas.
At OPM, we only have four grades of staffing. Assistant Consultants typically join straight out of post-graduate training. Consultants join with work experience, some management experience, and have a good understanding of the consulting marketplace. Senior Consultants are able to take on large management and business strategy responsibilities and Principal Consultants are thought-leaders in their area of specialisation.
To submit an application please fill out the form online and submit the requested documents. Please contact [email protected] with any queries about the process and we will be happy to help, however applications should not be submitted via email.
The closing date for applications is Friday 27th January 2017.
What’s it like working at OPM, and why should you join our growing global organisation? Watch this video to see what our colleagues have to say.
Thank you for considering OPM and we wish you all the best for your application