Lead agriculture, natural resources, and rural development (ANR) sector and subsector works in Southeast Asia countries, with focus on agriculture value chain and infrastructure development, agriculture commercialization, and agribusiness, including policy analysis, project design and costing, financial and economic analysis, and project administration. Lead country and subregional teams on broad ANR policy and strategy dialogue with clients, and lead ANR sector assessment, strategy and roadmap development. Lead the processing and administration of loan and technical assistance (TA) projects in the ANR sector, especially agribusiness and value chain development projects, engaging developing member countries (DMCs) governments, bilateral and multilateral development partners, private sector, and civil society including research and development institutions. As mission leader and project officer, assure the quality of program/project design, development, delivery and administration, and supervise the work of mission members; and as supervisor, oversee the performance of reporting staff. Work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods.
a. Strategy and Planning
- Lead the development of national, subregional and regional sustainable development and management of ANR sector in DMCs in consultation with relevant government agencies, resident missions, and development partners.
- Lead the design and deployment of policies and strategies in agriculture value chain and infrastructure development, agriculture commercialization, and agribusiness.
- Lead and conduct economic and sector work in agriculture, environment, and natural resources management in the context of inclusive, gender-sensitive and environmentally sustainable economic growth.
b. Project Management
- Lead the processing and administration of loan and TA projects in agriculture restructuring, agribusiness, and agricultural value chain development, including aquaculture, commercial agriculture development, value chain logistics, and public private partnerships.
- Liaise with development agencies and partners on collaborative sector, policy, and knowledge works and cofinancing.
- Ensure quality at entry of project design, costing, financial and economic analysis, and safeguard compliance.
- Monitor project performance, sector/subsector/project output and outcome indicators.
- Lead coordination with Government on management of ADB-assisted programs and projects in the sector.
c. Policy and Project Evaluation
- Lead the continuous review and improvement of project process and administration policies and practices.
- Ensure prompt identification and resolution of problems during project processing and implementation.
- Lead data collection, micro- and macro- economic and social analyses for assessing the impact of ANR sector policies, strategies and projects on the beneficiaries, and on the overall social and economic development.
d. Knowledge Sharing
- Lead the strengthening and updating of the Division’s collective knowledge on issues and topics related to agriculture value chain and infrastructure development, agriculture commercialization, and agribusiness relevant to Southeast Asia countries.
- Identify and share relevant lessons, innovations and good practices from own and others, including outside ADB.
- Participate in sector and thematic works related to agriculture, natural resources, environment, and rural development to keep abreast of latest development and issues.
e. Staff supervision
- Take the role of mission leader and supervise the work of mission members.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent in economics, agriculture economics, development economics, or relevant fields. University degree in economics, agriculture economics, development economics or other relevant fields, combined with specialized experience in agribusiness and agriculture value chain development in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 12 years of relevant professional experience in agriculture value chain development, agriculture commercialization, and agribusiness. International experience working as a project team leader or project economist in several countries, with varying cultural values and norms. Experience in Southeast Asia countries is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of agriculture development issues, including agriculture diversification, commercialization, trade, and public private partnership, agriculture services cost recovery, food-water nexus, sector policy reforms, and capacity building and institutional strengthening that are relevant to Southeast Asia countries.
- Strong technical skills and experience in reviewing the development and designs of agriculture and rural infrastructure development projects, prepared/proposed by consultants or the government agencies, including cost estimates, implementation arrangements and other relevant technical aspects.
- Skillful in synthesizing technical, institutional, economic, social, and safeguard outputs into a coherent project design.
- Skills and experience in overseeing implementation of agriculture and rural development projects, and ensuring technical, procurement, disbursement, and contract administration issues are resolved timely during loan and TA implementation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, including interpersonal skills, necessary to forge consensus among diverse stakeholders over various, and often contentious, development issues
- Supervisor: Director, SEER
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.