NRC’s programmes and advocacy support families affected by conflict in the shelter, Food security and livelihoods, education, water and sanitation, camp management, and legal assistance sectors. NRC is particularly concerned about the potential impact of the global spread of corona-virus (COVID19) could have on vulnerable refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and the host communities in East Africa and Yemen region. Because of prolonged restrictions due to COVID-19, NRC need to be more innovative to maintain essential humanitarian services including scaling up Covid-19 prevention activities such as water, sanitation and hygiene awareness.
The Regional WASH Adviser is the organisation’s regional expert within the core competence and responsible for supporting the Country Offices (COs) and Regional Office in the strategic development of high quality core competency responses, including use of new technologies, market-based approaches and learning across the region.
Duties and responsibilities
- Technical advice and guidance to WASH Specialists based at the NRC country offices in the region
- Coordination with other Core Competencies at regional and global level to bring together high quality and timely support to COs
- Lead coordination on the response to COVID-19 within the region
- Responsible for alignment and the relevance of NRC’s WASH response to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Adaptation of NRC’s WASH programme approaches to COVID-19 through innovation and development, in close cooperation with the country offices.
- Responsible for the provision of evidence, data, analysis and advise to management on strategic decisions related to the WASH core competency
- Responsible for the provision of support and capacity building along the technical reporting lines (COs) within the WASH core competency.
- Responsible for coordination, oversight and reporting on regional WASH approaches to ensure that NRC delivers high quality, effective and relevant programming to COVID-19 pandemic
- Responsible for the identification and utilization of programmatic synergies between WASH and the other core competencies as well as the development of tools and methodologies to better integrate cross-cutting issues and prioritized development areas into WASH programmes
- Responsible for the initiation and documentation of learning and the institutionalization and promotion of best practices and learning related to WASH response to COVID-19.
- Responsible for COVID-19 resource mobilization and fundraising related to WASH or as part of the collective resource mobilization efforts
- Responsible for the analyzing of WASH specific M E data and its strategic use for decision making, programme development and communication.
- Responsible for the identification, prioritization, development and documentation of regional advocacy issues related to WASH response to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Responsible for networking, representation, and the identification of strategic partnerships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. donors, UN agencies, NGOs, research- and educational institutions, private sector) related to programmes in general.
Please click on this job description for more details on the generic responsibilities of the role before you apply
- Advanced degree in water and sanitation, engineering, public health or equivalent technical experience and training
- At least five years of practical experience of water and sanitation programming in multiple developing countries, including significant experience in complex emergency contexts
- Experience in integrated public health programming (combining water and sanitation with public health promotion), and a demonstrated understanding of health promotion approaches and methodologies, community engagement
- Experience in delivering training and developing staff and partner capacity. Ability to take on a coaching and mentoring role
- Experience in applying market-based methodologies to WASH/public health interventions
Experience in drafting and encouraging implementation of policy/strategic guidance, and developing practical tools and resources
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Ability to work well under pressure and in response to rapidly changing needs
- Able to represent organisation at a strategic level and contribute to global policy development with key donors and stakeholders.
- Personal and technical skills related to the management and facilitation of change management processes
- Facilitation and leadership skills in creating engagement, “buy-in”, inspiration and a spirit of solution development
- Strong capacity building skills
- Strong communication skills (internal and external)
- Strong skills in conceptualizing and explaining complex technical issues to non-professionals
- Solid knowledge of the organizational landscape including key organizations and individuals in the WASH sector
- Professional credibility and interpersonal skills required to provide technical leadership within a professional matrix structure
- Understanding of matrix structures and the role of technical leads within matrix structures is an asset
- Being able to create a positive and engaging work environment
- Knowledge of the countries supported by NRC is an asset
We can offer
Contract Duration: 5 – 6 Month contract
Duty station: Nairobi Regional Office or Homebased
This position is open to both Kenyan Nationals and international applicants