In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
The USGS Virgina-West Virginia Water Science Center (VA/WV WSC) is seeking associate, undergraduate, graduate level student working towards a degree in hydrology to gain practical experience in surface water, ground water, water quality, sediment, instrumentation, and infrastructure.
As a Student Trainee (Hydrology) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of hydrologic data collection and office computation procedures in order to collect and/or compute and compile hydrologic data.
- Performs routine measurements of stage and discharge under a variety of field conditions applying established uniform methods.
- Reviews gage-height data and discharge measurements to check methods and accuracy of computation.
- Prepares plots, drafts, or sketches from surveying field notes.
- Performs routine water-level discharge measurements from wells and springs.
- Performs routine field water quality measurements such as water temperature, specific conductance, pH, dissolved oxygen and alkalinity.
- Computes, processes, and checks routine sediment samples.
- Performs installation, maintenance, servicing, and troubleshooting of sensing, recording, and communications equipment. protocols, and standards assists in the construction, development, and abandonment of wells.
- Assists in establishing vertical and horizontal datums.