The Consultant will provide technical support to the Environmental Conservation Department and Global Green Growth Institute in the implementation of the GCF funded Green Cities Readiness Project. The objectives of the project are to develop Green Cities investment project pipelines and nominate a GCF National Access Entity.
Under the overall guidance of Country Representative and close supervision of the Project Lead, the Consultant will develop analytical inputs that build a rationale for new planning tools, physical infrastructure or services in four secondary cities in Myanmar. These measures will be focused on climate change mitigation and/or resilience to climate change, following the Green Climate Fund’s eight principle impact areas. The consultant’s analysis will guide Green Climate Fund concept note development for each city. We are looking for a person that understands city services and infrastructure challenges in cities in Myanmar; someone who is able to analyze data provided by cities, businesses and communities.
This consultancy is for a fixed duration of 12 months and will involve supporting a diverse range of activities and outputs that are required as part of the GCF Green Cities Readiness project.
Scope of Work
- Assess infrastructure and city service challenges and opportunities as they relate to city sectors (water, waste, buildings, infrastructure, energy etc.), collecting data and information about key actors, mechanisms and value chains that influence service provision and infrastructure-related decision-making.
- Analyze the vulnerability of urban populations to climate change using available data on/from each of the four cities. Analyze the opportunities (including the economic argument) for integrating new sectoral interventions and infrastructure in any given city. Support the development of analysis that connects urban vulnerability, governance and project bankability in each of the four project cities.
- Support the organization and project inception, as well as the consultation and awareness raising workshops on Green Cities Readiness Project and develop workshop reports.
- Support private sector awareness raising activities.
- Engage stakeholders from the public, private and third sectors, seeking equal representation of women and including relevant groups, for the development of the green cities investment plans in four cities as these relate to sustainable infrastructure and urban policy. This will include face to face workshops, as well as informal consultations with various interest groups.
- Provide various written and oral inputs based on these analyses as required for GCF Concept Note development.
The Consultant is expected to deliver the following key outputs.
- Sectoral assessment reports developed in focusing on Green City relevant infrastructure and service provision challenges and opportunities in project cities as they relate to city sectors (water, waste, buildings, infrastructure, energy etc.) Including data collection, collation, and analysis of key actors and mechanisms that influence local policy and governance outcomes (in Myanmar and English)
- Project Inception Workshop organized, and report developed.
- Consultation Workshops and Capacity Building Seminar for State/city stakeholders (focusing on key service sectors) organized, and reports developed.
- Awareness raising materials for the private sector developed as these relate to sustainable infrastructure and urban policy.
- Cities Investment Plans consultation workshops in four Cities conducted and reports prepared (for each city) as these relate to sustainable infrastructure and urban policy.
- Support any other activities under GCF Green City project development.
- Advanced degree (Masters) in a relevant field, such as Sustainable Infrastructure, Urban Planning, Urban Policy, Environmental technology, or other areas related to Infrastructure;
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills, alongside strong synthesis and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent knowledge of Green Cities infrastructure, particularly in the areas of energy, municipal waste management, sanitation, transport or infrastructure.
Demonstrated experience in Green Cities Investment Plan Development
- At least 4 years of experience leading technical and/or capacity-building projects relevant to City infrastructure, urban planning or infrastructure financing in Myanmar and/or developing countries;
- Project delivery experience, including managing the delivery of results on time and on budget Ability to apply sufficient analytical and technical skills to acquire relevant information/knowledge from a variety of sources which are often difficult to access, in support of delivery of a good quality
- Proven experience in establishing and maintain working relations with government officials. Demonstrate experience and success in the engagement of, and working with both the public and private sector
- Demonstrated experience in organizing and leading workshops, trainings and consultation meetings with stakeholders
- Excellent written and spoken communications skill in English (essential) and Myanmar language (desired).