Designation: Block Coordinator
Reporting to: Program Lead ( Amravati, Maharashtra )
Location: Paratwada, Amravati
About Water For People India Trust and Mission Paani
Established in 2008, Water For People India Trust aims to provide universal access to safe drinking water, sanitation and improved hygiene practices, sustained by local institutions, government entities and the private sector. Its primary objective is to design and implement high-quality WASH programs and projects that directly contribute to improved health and overall well-being of vulnerable and marginalized communities. Over the past decade, Water For People India Trust has emerged as a niche organization with focused water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) programs that cater to the most vulnerable and marginalized communities, inclusive of public institutions such as Anganwadi centres, schools and health centres. Water For People India Trust is a direct-implementation agency supported by civil societies, local NGO partners, and entrepreneurs.
Mission Paani- Water For People India Trust with funding support from Reckitt Benckiser is implementing the ‘Mission Paani’ pilot initiative in two blocks of Amravati district, Maharashtra. The pilot initiative being implemented in Achalpur & Chandurbazar s, focuses on water conservation and good governance measures, with an integral behaviour change communication effort to promote water consciousness among households (and farmers), increased water availability, and increase in the proportion of greywater (the relatively clean wastewater from baths, sinks, dishwashing, clothes washing, and other household water use except toilets) reused and recycled at the household and community level, as appropriate.
– Connects to the Mission – embraces the mission of Water For People India Trust and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact
– Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
– Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – shows empathy and integrity; able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
– Connects with Others – demonstrates exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, exceptional networker, key influencer, and be comfortable representing Water For People India Trust across a wide variety of audiences
– Accountability and Transparency – has an unwavering commitment to delivering quality work products
– Manages through Ambiguity / Courage to do what is right – demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity
– Self-confident – handles tough questions or critique in a professional manner assuming the best intentions; open to feedback and coaching
Terms of Reference
Water For People India Trust seeks to engage two block level consultants in Amravati district under its Mission Paani initiative for (i) managing technical support initiatives in collaboration with the block and district government, local governance structures and private players; (ii) community mobilization and engagement, implementation of project activities for water conservation, behaviours to reduce-reuse and recycle water at the household and community level and (iii) building strong local governance structures for water resource management.
The Block Coordinator will be the single point of contact with the block officials for offering technical support on systems development initiatives for water conservation-behaviour change communication and strengthening local governance structures. In addition, the consultant will manage and oversee the implementation of project interventions and activities, including liaison with the government for all necessary approvals.
The Block Coordinator will develop and sustain working relationship with all key stakeholders – government, civil society organisations, local governance structures and community-based institutions.
Travel Time: Up to 80% (field work)
Project Planning & Implementation of Community Level Activities
– In coordination with the Project Lead, support the baseline and finalisation of Program Framework for the block in consultation with the stakeholders.
– Support the Project lead in building the block level team for implementation of Mission Paani initiatives
– Prepare a three year, annual and quarterly plan for implementation, with inputs from the district and block level officials, local Panchayati raj institutions.
– Lead the implementation of prepared plan in the block, with clear monthly plans jointly prepared with the team lead and other members of the team
– Support all water conservation, behaviour change communication and local governance program activities in the identified pilot villages (approximately 20 pilot villages identified on the basis of a micro-catchment).
– Identify and map areas of equity and inclusion, and a systematic plan to incorporate the interventions to address these, their monitoring and documentation for outreach
– Develop the water safety and security plans for pilot villages with the engagement of the local communities, panchayati raj institutions, block level officials and the ratification of these plans at the gram sabhas
– Monitor the water level through bore well monitoring app, sharing results with the villagers and block level officials to promote water conservation, water budgeting and use of water for various purposes at household and community level and provide timely feedback to the team.
– Support on field installation of observation wells.
– Highlight defunct bore well in the community and support on ground water conservation measures through water harvesting, restoring water bodies and desilting of water bodies.
– Lead water quality monitoring and treatment initiatives.
– Lead on ground initiatives of various activities for retrofitting of existing water infrastructure through installation of household level water meters, water efficient practices/devices and installation of drip irrigation and sprinkler.
– Ensure regular update of work from sites is received, including sharing of any challenges
– Regular monitoring to ensure all project activities are implemented in time and with quality, necessary approvals sought at the outset and with completion certificates for all civil works as required.
Behaviour Change Communication
– Support the development and implementation of the social behaviour change strategy and activities for water conscious communities that begin to adopt water conservation and water saving methods for various purposes including reuse of grey water.
– Based on the baseline outcomes, support in incorporation of gender and equity dimensions in the design, implementation and monitoring of SBCC tools
– Identify and train a cadre of local artists & influencers with the support of experts for implementing social behaviour change communication (SBCC) activities
– Manage and monitor a frontline team of facilitators and community mobilisers to implement SBCC activities
– Pilot test, improvise SBCC tools, and plan their implementation (including trainings) and monitoring to achieve the desired outcomes
– Contribute to the scale up of the SBCC strategy in Amravati district/state level
Strengthening Local Governance
– Identify the community-based institutions, local governance institutions and map the private players that can play a critical role in water conservation, behaviour change and strong service delivery.
– Mobilise communities, local institutions for plans and their implementation to conserve-sustain and transform water conservation and saving practices.
– Map various government schemes and possible dovetailing in plans and during implementation to seek co-financing during implementation, operations and maintenance of schemes and project activities
– Implement innovative approaches for circular economies around water conservation, access
– Consolidate water resource management plans at the block level in collaboration with the government and contribute to setting up of technical support units.
– Coordinate and collaborate with block level officials for regular program updates, and identify opportunities for outreach in other gram panchayats/micro-catchments through government support.
– Identify areas of technical support to the block for water conservation-behaviour change communication and strengthening local governance.
– With guidance of the technical support unit, support the block functionaries in developing block level water resource management plans
– Supporting pilot Village Water Safety and Security plans in terms of resource allocations etc. based on the directions received from the technical support unit, implement plans and activities; represent in district level and other government meetings as required.
Constitution and Strengthening of Local Governance Structures
– Interface with Program Lead for facilitation in implementation of field level activities.
– Oversee and support in villages, GP and block level activities.
– Represent in training programs, meetings toward successful implementation of program activities at the gram panchayat and block level.
– Support in the formation of Farmers Clubs in pilot GPs.
– Work closely with the team and support workshops and disseminations.
On-Site Monitoring, Quality Assurance and Capacity Building
– Plan site visits based on monthly implementation plans to monitor on-going activities and suggest areas for improvement to the team/partner organizations in consultation with the Project In-Charge, Mission Paani Amravati
– Implement any participatory monitoring and evaluation tools for assessing the CBOs, local governance structures.
– Support monitoring trainings, timely data collection and reporting.
– Support/lead block level capacity building initiatives/ToTs with Framer’s Club, Child Cabinet, School Management Committee, School WATSAN Committees.
– Support development of block level WRM plans with the WRM expert and further building capacities of units based on the plan led by the WRM expert.
Prerequisites for the position
– Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in similar organizational/ functional context
– Prior experience of working in Maharashtra (with proficiency in local language).
– Understanding of equity and inclusion issues, especially in context of water
– Graduation in Social Sciences / Agriculture or related field with experience of institution building, behaviour change communication and/or implementing water conservation interventions
– Qualifications in the fields of (i) Hydrogeology and /or (ii) Social Behaviour Change Communication will be preferred.
– Prior experience of working with Technical Support units to the government will be relevant and preferred for this role.
Key Skills& Competencies:
– The ideal candidate will have the energy, enthusiasm to fast track the commitment to sustaining water conscious communities, and a zeal to innovate
– Excellent communication and networking skills, especially with the government and private sector influencers.
– Strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
– A team player, with ability to develop, drive, manage a highly motivated team to maximize their potential and performance.
– Ability to work towards meeting strict deadlines and achieve results, while maintaining congeniality and professionalism.
– Understanding of Microsoft Office/ Excel with sound reporting and documentation skills
– Use of Google maps/GIS and or/project monitoring tools.
The interested candidates can mail their CV and covering letter to [email protected] with in 23rd August 2020.