The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its Projects Directorate (PJ) -Environment & Sustainable Territorial Development Department (ETD), Water Management Division (WATER), based in its external offices inside the EU or in its headquarters in Luxembourg, a:
Water Management Specialist
This is a fulltime position at grade 5/6
Appointment will be made on the basis of a 4 year contract
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
PJ provides advice and independent opinions to the EIB’s decision makers on the quality and risks of investment projects. It plays an important role in advising promoters on the development and implementation of projects either directly or through external consultants. PJ is also involved in operational policy formulation for the EIB to respond to EU policies.
The sector specialist will provide technical advisory support to promoters with a view to deliver technically sound and bankable investment projects. Requests for this technical advisory support may be originated from the European Investment Advisory Hub (EIAH).
The sector specialist will also assess, within multi-disciplinary teams, the technical viability and environmental sustainability of projects in accordance with the EIB’s procedures. Upon approval of these projects, s/he will also have an active role in the technical monitoring of the project until its completion.
The successful candidate will be part of the Environmental and Sustainable Territorial Development Department and will report to the Head of the Water Division. This Department focuses on supporting investments in the agribusiness, water, regional and urban development sectors. The Water Division handles projects in the areas of water and wastewater services and flood protection.
The position may be located at the EIB Headquarters in Luxembourg or in one of the EIB offices inside EU, in particular in Eastern Europe. Final decision on the location of any positon will take into account the business needs as well as personal preferences of candidates.
The water sector specialist will support potential promoters in setting up projects by providing advice on the full range of water project-cycle related aspects, while also being involved in project appraisals and monitoring for projects under the responsibility of the Division when necessary. The candidate will focus on the following tasks:
- Deliver technical advisory services in support of projects and investments, as well as capacity building and horizontal matters (e.g. institutional frameworks, methodologies, good practice guides), in the field of water.
- Provide high quality project development support throughout all stages of the project cycle (from pre-feasibility to financing) in order to qualify for the Bank´s financing. Provide upstream or policy advice on market studies, sector strategies, and project screening when necessary.
- Prepare technical specifications for the procurement of consultants and supervise the intermediate and final deliverables of those consultants in the context of project development and implementation support.
- Carry out well focused market gap analysis for technical advisory services for scaling up investment and EIB financing.
- Provide technical inputs to the reporting and monitoring on the achievements of the technical assistance delivered and to the preparation of the annual work programme of the EIAH.
- Ensure techno-economic assessment and monitoring, within multidisciplinary teams of investment projects and programmes, including compliance with EU and Bank’s sectoral, environmental, social and procurement policies, to the required quality standards.
- Track the evolution of the water sector, including active representation at selected sectorial events, and liaise closely with EU institutions and international organizations on water-related policy/sector questions.
- In the context of the assignments indicated above, cooperate closely with the EIAH, other advisory facilities or the Lending Directorate depending on the type and source of the technical assistance.
- University Master degree in relevant engineering fields (Civil, Agricultural, Environmental).
- A complementary Master of Business Administration or similar qualification in the field of economics will be an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the water and wastewater and/or flood protection covering the main aspects of the project cycle (feasibility, design, development, contracting, management and operation).
- Professional experience in providing advisory services gained with a consultancy, corporate, research institute or financial institution will be an asset.
- Good knowledge of the water sector including EU policies, regulatory aspects, and evolving topics such as emerging pollutants and climate action.
- Good knowledge of environmental and procurement aspects.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and a good command of the other*. Working knowledge of other European languages would be an advantage.
- Commitment: Aligns behaviour with the interests of the EIB in a committed way and supports diversity policies
- Teamwork and Communication: Takes a co-operative approach within the team, sharing knowledge and information. Seeks to promote harmony within the team and contribute to team processes. Capacity to co-ordinate activities across multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams
- Reliability: Demonstrates a focus on achieving results and objectives. Meets commitments and takes responsibility for personal performance. Capacity to plan and organise his/her work and supervise work of consultants, and ability to work under pressure
- Integrity: Maintains high standards of honesty and trustworthiness. Considers ethical implications of issues and decisions
- Good analytical skills with the capacity to provide sound judgement concerning his/her area of responsibilities
- Strong drafting skills: ability to draft clear and concise reports. Rigorous and able to produce accurate and reliable documents
- Knowledge of the preparation and review of feasibility studies
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank’s working languages
Deadline for applications: 12th of January 2017
We believe that Diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates; irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability