Young Water Solutions is a youthful and vibrant organization based in Brussels and created in 2015 that empowers young people in low and middle-income countries to lead the solution to water issues in their communities, through the provision of technical and financial support. After successful implementation of a series of youth-led field projects across Africa and Asia, Young Water Solutions launched in 2017 its flagship program, the Young Water Fellowship, that offers training, mentorship and seed funding to young people with project ideas that can contribute to the solution of local water, sanitation or other water management issues.
After running three global editions and one regional edition in East Africa, Young Water Solutions is currently running two national editions in Ivory Coast and Senegal and supporting 39 young entrepreneurs (‘’Fellows’’) to pilot and launch social businesses that are benefiting 30,000 people in 21 countries, as well as preparing its first Young Water Fellowship edition Latin America.
While the programme focuses on providing technical and financial help to young entrepreneurs, Young Water Solutions also uses its lessons learned to inspire policy making and bring together stakeholders to improve the enabling conditions to support young water entrepreneurs at country level. This way, advocacy and knowledge sharing become key components of the programme.
For more information about Young Water Solutions and the Young Water Fellowship: www.youngwatersolutions.org
Young Water Solutions is in a growth phase with significant potential for expanding its activities in the years to come. For this exciting time, we are looking for a Programme Officer who will be in charge of the implementation of the YWF Latin America and other complementary activities. Main responsibilities include:
- Support fundraising efforts and the planning of future YWF editions
- Occasionally travel abroad to monitor Fellows’ pilot projects;
- Support logistical arrangements for meetings and events;
- Take a share of the daily administrative, organisational tasks and external communications;
- Occasionally help with translations from English to Spanish and vice versa;
- Other tasks as required
PROFILE OF THE CANDIDATE
Knowledge, experience and skills
- A degree involving substantial water, sanitation, IWRM and/or business content. Significant experience on these topics can replace formal education requirements
- Professional proficiency in English and Spanish (writing & speaking)
- Outstanding writing and presentational skills
- Experience working in Latin America
- Proven administrative, organisational and project management experiences
- Knowledge/experience related to social entrepreneurship and fundraising
- Knowledge/experience related to fundraising
- External communications skills
- Motivation to contribute to YWS’ mission and vision
- Self-motivated, outcome-oriented, team player
- Proactive, flexible, hands-on personality
- Attention to detail and diligent work approach and method
- Willingness to take increasing responsibilities
- Able to work autonomously, set own priorities and deliver within agreed timescales.
Time assignment and location
An initial contract is offered for 70% full-time equivalent (27 hours a week) for a fixed duration of 1 year, ideally starting in early October 2020. There will be a probation period of six weeks and depending on performance and funds availability, the possibility to extend the contract and increase time dedication in the future exist. Gross salary and tax conditions can be shared upon request.
The job is based in Brussels (working rights in the EU or Belgium are a must). Given the current Covid-19 situation, candidates must be able to partially work from home.