Ukraine nationals: Communications Advisor to the Minister of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine
On 27 May 2020, the Cabinet of Minister of Ukraine has adopted a Resolution # 425 on the creation of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine. The newly established Ministry is responsible for the following matters:
- ensures the formation and implementation of state policy in the field of environmental protection, radiation, biological and genetic safety, use and reproduction of aquatic bioresources, fisheries regulation and maritime safety vessels of the fleet of fisheries, forestry and hunting;
- ensures the formation and implementation of state policies in the in the field of water management, efficient use of natural resources as well as environmental protection from the negative anthropogenic impact on climate change and adaptation to its changes including compliance with the requirements of international environmental treaties.
The newly established Ministry requires support in filling the capacity gaps in environmental governance to align the Ukraine’s efforts with the European Green Deal (EGD) as a new growth strategy for boosting the efficient use of natural resources by moving to circular economy, restoring the biodiversity and cutting pollutions.
To support the GOU efforts on establishing a solid legal and institutional framework for environmental policymaking on the pathway to sustainable environment, and in addressing global climate change challenges, UNDP Ukraine intents to establish a Strategic Advisory Unit to provide high level/senior technical advice and strategic guidance to the Minister/ Minister’s Office to support strategic policy-making and institutional efforts support for improvement of environmental ecosystem protections, focusing on reducing air pollution, sustainable water resources management, environment and health, including transparent stakeholders’ consultation processes and raising public awareness.
UNDP in Ukraine seeks to support the Strategic Advisory Unit with a Communications Advisor to the Minister of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives of the assignment
The main objectives of the assignment is to provide high-level expertise to help the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine with strategic communication in order to enhance their ability to implement their reform agenda and to align the Ukraine’s intention in joining to the European Green Deal (EGD) as a new growth strategy for busting the efficient use of natural resources by moving to circular economy, restoring the biodiversity and cutting pollution..
Scope of services
Under the overall supervision of Project Manager, the selected Consultant under this assignment will be responsible for communication advisory to the Minister of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine.
The Consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Provide expertise and practical daily support to the implementation of the Communication Strategy and yearly Communication Action Plan of the Government, including internal and external strategic communications of the Minister’s Office and monitoring of communication activities by other related bodies;
- Strengthen the institutional capacities of the beneficiary institution to design, manage and monitor communications’ policy, and introduce new practices in the Minister’s Office’s communications, with a focus on timely, clear and thematically-structured information;
- Facilitate knowledge management and provide the beneficiaries with examples of global best practices in communicating actions needed for European Integration related reforms, SDGs’ implementation and Green Deal;
- Contribute to the development of the content of thematic communication products in line with the agreed communication policies and help to establish the cooperation with opinion leaders and media assets for their effective channelling to the target audiences;
- Provide expert advisory services, and develop analytical products in the form of advisory notes, press releases, talking points, speeches, fact sheets, reviews, assessments leading to policy papers, as well as provide direct ad-hoc strategic advice as required by the Minister’s Office;
- Develop capacities of the Minister’s Office staff on best practices of citizen engagement and outreach;
- Liaise with other government institutions in terms of Communication component to ensure synergy, to promote effective downstream implementation of the policies and to avoid overlap and duplication, where appropriate and when requested by the beneficiary;
- Support the national authorities to network with international development partners through the UNDP Ukraine;
- Provide sectoral advice and report to UNDP, whenever requested;
- Assist the beneficiary to prepare an exit strategy on how the advice will be mainstreamed and consolidated once this technical support is exhausted;
- Ensure that UNDP’s visibility in this field of work is adequately visible as agreed between UNDP and Minister’s Office.
Measurable outputs of the work assignment/deliverables:
- Communication Strategy and yearly Communication Action Plan of the Government is timely implemented by the Minister’s Office, with an emphasis on measurable results and quality, and properly reported - monthly;
- Communication products, developed in cooperation with the Minister’s Office representatives, with proper reference to the SDGs – every second month;
- Progress reports are provided to UNDP - monthly;
The consultant will be primarily responsible for the achieving of the objectives of the assignment. The Consultant will report to Project Managerand will work closely with representatives of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine and Energy and Environment Portfolio of UNDP in Ukraine.
Consultant will be responsible for all personal administrative expenses associated with the assignment, which include printing costs, stationary, telephone and electronic communication.
Travel costs shall be paid for/reimbursed separately by the Project as per UNDP rules and regulations. This includes all mission travel and mission costs as per UNDP rules and regulations.
Monitoring requirements /Terms of payment
The Consultant will submit monthly plans and output reports indicating the number of days worked and short details of tasks per day.
Payments under this contract are to be made after acceptance of monthly plans and services delivered by the Consultant upon submission of a monthly output report and an invoice indicating exact number of workdays per month and short description of tasks performed.
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
• Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
• Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Ability to take initiative;
- Excellent coordination and facilitation skills with multi stakeholders with different backgrounds;
- Strong interpersonal and task management skills;
- Builds strong relationships, focuses on impact and result and responds positively to feedback;
- Openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (at least Specialist/Master) in political science, public administration, law, media relations, journalism, international relations, social sciences or other relevant field;
- 4 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in media sphere, public relations, communications or advocacy.
- 3 years of relevant experience in cooperation with the state institution related to communication issues
- Proven prior experience (at least 5 years) of professional or advisory services to the Government (or national level counterparts) and/or reputable international organizations.
- Proven reports and/or publications record related to communication (at least 5 relevant publications).
- Excellent analytical, advisory, communication and writing skills
- Fluency in writing/speaking Ukrainian, English and Russian;
Documents to be included when submitting the proposal
Applicants shall submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest/proposal;
- CV/P-11 including information about past experience in similar projects / assignments and contact details for referees;
- Financial proposal;
- Examples of reports/studies. (5 minimum)
Daily fee contract
The financial proposal shall specify a daily fee rate. Monthly payments are based on timely and satisfactory delivery of the agreed products and services as specified in the Terms of Reference for Individual Consultant. The financial proposal shouldn’t include travel costs as it will be covered by UNDP.
The following criteria will be rated as indicated below:
- Advanced university degree (13 points max): PhD – 13 points; Masters/Specialist – 8 points.
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in national or international level in media sphere, public relations, communications or advocacy (15 points max): 4 years – 10 points, 5 years -13 points, 6 and more – 15 points.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in cooperation with the state institution related to communication issues (15 points max): 3 years – 8 points, 4-5 years -10 points, over 6 years – 15 points.
- Minimum 5 years of professional or advisory services to the Government (or national level counterparts) and/or reputable international organizations (10 points max): 5 years – 7 points, 6-7 years - 8 points, 8 and over – 10 points.
- Proven reports and/or publications record (7 points max): 5 publications – 5 points, more than 5 publications – 7 points;
- Language skills (excellent written and spoken English, Ukrainian and Russian. (10 points max): 5 points for fluent Ukrainian/Russian, 10 points for fluent Ukrainian/Russian + English).
Maximum available technical score - 70 points.
Contract award shall be made to the incumbent whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
A) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
B) having received the cumulative highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
* Technical Criteria weight: 70%
* Financial Criteria weight: 30%
Only candidates obtaining a minimum 70% from the maximum available technical score would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal is allocated to the lowest price proposal and will equal to 30. All other price proposals will be evaluated and assigned points, as per below formula:
30 points [max points available for financial part] x [lowest of all evaluated offered prices among responsive offers] / [evaluated price].
The proposal obtaining the overall cumulatively highest score after adding the score of the technical proposal and the financial proposal will be considered as the most compliant offer and will be awarded a contract.