Canada nationals: Junior Environmental Protection Officer
The Environmental Protection Branch within the Ministry of Environment is seeking a multi-talented individual with a strong engineering and/or science background as a Junior Environmental Protection Officer.
As a Junior Environmental Protection Officer in the Environmental Protection Branch, you will be responsible for:
- Assisting in the review of environmental impact statements for proposed municipal, industrial and mining operations and provide technical review comments regarding these developments;
- Reviewing applications and preparing approvals for the construction and operation of all components of municipal, industrial and mining operations related to raw product handing, processing, waste management, air quality issue, waste industrial water treatment, potable water treatment, storage and handling of hazardous substances waste dangerous goods;
- Reviewing and commenting on all required document submissions from municipal, industrial and mining operations including those for the management of environmentally impacted sites;
- Performing environmental inspections to ensure compliance with provincial legislation, the Environmental Code, regulations and approvals;
- Investigating spills of hazardous substances and waste dangerous goods and approve clean up;
- Assisting in the development of the Province’s environmental policies and regulations regarding municipal, industrial and mining operations and their inherent environmental concerns; and
- Responding to public inquiries or complaints.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to:
- clearly and accurately discuss complex environmental issues, policies and procedures, and concisely draft and compose written documents;
- persuade others to achieve consensus or resolve conflict in highly polarized situations;
- independently, and as part of a team, research, recommend, and implement new technologies, techniques, concept, policies, or guidelines; (Team/ Independence)
- clearly and accurately discuss complex environmental issues, policies and procedures to diverse groups (including peers) at a level appropriate to the audience, and express yourself clearly and concisely both in technical written materials and in presentation to individuals and groups at a level appropriate to the audience; (Communication)
- make decisions within policy or regulation; (Decision Making)
- identify/develop/implement process and policy to resolve environmental protection issues; (Problem Solving)
- independently organize duties, determine and adjust priorities to complete tasks, and meet objectives in a multi-tasking environment; (Organizational)
- interpret and apply the intent of legislation and regulations; accurately input, edit and retrieve information and data, using various databases, spreadsheets and word processing packages; (Analytical) and
educate, influence, persuade, and convince others to work towards a mutually acceptable or workable solution/agreement or resolve conflict. (Interpersonal)
Typically, the competencies required for this position can be achieved through a degree in natural and /or physical science, or related engineering discipline.
This position requires travel to remote locations of the province and working flexible hours. The headquarters for this position are Saskatoon or Prince Albert.
We are committed to workplace diversity.
Hours of Work: B - SGEU Field 37.33 - work a total of 37.33 hours/week, averaged over 4 weeks
Number of Openings: 1
: Aug 12, 2020, 1:59:00 AM