RTI International seeks a Water Governance Lead for an upcoming, USAID funded Lebanon Water Sanitation and Conservation (WSC) Program. Under this activity, the program will support the Regional Water Establishments (RWE) to improve the performance for efficient service delivery and to increase conservation of water resources. This activity is part of a larger public water and wastewater infrastructure development activity. The position will be based in Beirut, Lebanon.
• Identify the unimplemented parts of the water sector reform program and support the implementation
• Lead the legal and regulatory water sector reform activities with focus on execution and institutionalization of existing laws/regulations/policies
• Develop and design an appropriate “union” of the municipalities and other clusters of Lebanese towns and villages to deliver essential public services
• Perform needs assessment as required on the water sector organizations and identify and implement organizational and capacity building measures to address deficiencies and achieve desired performance levels
• Support strategic planning and coordination efforts across agencies, donors and with key stakeholders
• Support financial management and customer service departments at the water utilities.
• Lead technical capacity building and institutional development of RWE’s, and CSOs, including capacity assessments, trainings, and related interventions.
• Serve as a Resource Person for regional project institutional development specialists in order to coordinate all interventions (e.g. conduct of stakeholders’ consultations, focus group discussions/key informant interviews and other relevant activities with the urban water utilities, and the Private Sector);
• Lead in the design and implementation of corporate governance systems of the RWEs -from Board of Directors, role clarity etc.
• Take the lead in the processing and analysis of data generated from institutional and organizational capacity assessments.
• Lead technical capacity building and institutional development of RWE’s, WASH utilities, and CSOs, including capacity assessments, trainings, and related interventions. Serve as a resource person for regional project institutional development specialists to coordinate all interventions
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Experience
• At least a Master’s degree in urban water sector reforms, institutional development, business management, or a relevant field;
• Minimum of ten years’ experience designing and implementing institutional/organizational development initiatives in environments comparable to Lebanon. Preference will be given to those with considerable working experience in Lebanon with institutions and civil society organizations in the urban water and WASH sectors;
• At least six years of experience and demonstrated success in implementing programs aimed at building capacity of national, state and utility level organizations in the region;
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in national, state and municipal institutions, development of sustainability plans, and policy development and reforms.
• Demonstrated experience in collaborating across projects stakeholder groups and donor projects.
• Strong management capacity with proven ability to oversee multiple activities simultaneously in multiple locations; and
• Possess excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communications skills in English; demonstrated supervisory skills; and ability to work well on a team.