Facebook designs, builds, leases and operates the most innovative and efficient data centers in the world, and is responsible for deploying and supporting one of the world’s largest and complex terrestrial and subsea networks. Developing, operating and managing data center facilities and network infrastructure the "right" way is synonymous with ensuring high uptime, capacity availability, flexibility and capital cost efficiency in a safe working environment. Facebook evaluates sites across the world for data center and network development, and is seeking an environmental expert to lead and manage environmental due diligence and environmental permitting for our global infrastructure portfolio with a focus on network and data centers. This position will report directly to the Manager of the Environment & Water Team. Comprehensive environmental technical expertise as well as excellent communication, organizational and program management skills are required for this position. Some travel may be needed to visit our data center or network installation sites and attend agency and stakeholder meetings. This position is full-time and located in Fremont, California; Seattle, Washington; Denver, Colorado; or Reston, Virginia.
Environmental Specialist Responsibilities
- Lead environmental due diligence and environmental permitting across multiple development efforts globally with a focus on network installation and data center development, including Section 404 and Section 106 consultation in the U.S. and/or Environmental Impact Reports/Assessments, where needed.
- Understand, communicate, and align permit and approval issuance with Facebook development timeframes.
- Identify and evaluate environmental permitting risks and regulatory changes affecting relevant development projects with a focus on network installation and data center development. Ensure and track adherence to environmental compliance obligations, including those outlined in permits or planning approvals.
- Work with internal teams to support selection of appropriate environmental consultants to conduct evaluations and prepare necessary documentation for permitting and approvals.
- Develop, summarize and communicate environmental risks and/or obligations across multiple diverse Facebook teams, including network, data center, policy, legal, and communications teams.
- Provide environmental expertise to diverse internal teams and coordinate with other teams about relevant issues and requirements, including Data Center and Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) teams where needed.
- Assist in facilitating the growth of the environmental program within Facebook as the company continues to grow and build environmental excellence.
- Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years professional experience in environmental planning, science, engineering, or other related field.
- Experience in environmental due diligence and pre-development effort, including preparation of environmental impact analyses (i.e., Environmental Impact Reports/Statements/Assessments).
- Experience in data management software, such as Excel.
- Experience managing multiple projects and coordinating with internal staff and external consultants, vendors and other stakeholders.
- Experience establishing and maintaining cross-functional and positive working relationships.
- Experience working with confidential information.
- Master’s degree in environmental planning, science, engineering, or other related field.
- Experience with GIS software.
- International environmental permitting experience.
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.