Lebanon nationals: WASH Coordinator
The WASH Coordinator is responsible for implementing the delegated WASH project portfolio within Bekaa area and managing the day to day activities of WASH related field staff to ensure proper delivery, high quality results and compliance to applicable laws, standards, practices, policies and procedures in coordination with the WASH Project Manager.
Duties and responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to the WASH strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of WASH projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from the line manager in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular reports to the Project Manager on project implementation
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Supervise the WASH team, ensure their capacity building and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Ensure that NRC’s related activities are implemented within NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines and report any breaches/concerns to the line manager and/or focal point for proper action
- Ensure that all protection-related detected cases are referred to the concerned referral focal point and to the related Protection Coordinator.
- Coordinate the WASH activities between the hygiene promotion and water and sanitation team through movement plan, work plan, meetings and field work.
- Develop and improve procedures for the implementation of the WASH programme in accordance with NRC principles (drafting MoUs, SoPs and ToRs).
- Design adapted WASH solutions for the different areas of and types of intervention, taking into account the National WASH strategy standards, Lebanese standards, special and protection needs.
- Participate in new project preparation and methodologies, through budget, log frame drafting and available WASH national and international assessments in Informal Tented Settlements (ITSs).
- Monitor new refugee’s settlements on a regular basis and coordinate with other NGOs, UNHCR and UNICEF to make sure gaps are being addressed.
- Design WASH solutions for Informal settlements including WASH infrastructure BoQs, taking into account people with special needs, vulnerabilities and coping mechanisms.
- Coordinate and follow up the WASH procurement process in WASH in ITS activities, Hygiene Prmotion activities in schools and community support projects.
- Develop and manage the hygiene promotion related activities in schools, ITSs and community support projects within the area based approach.
- Manage the performance of relevant WASH staff, set objectives, monitor work plans, and provide constructive feedback on a regular basis.
- Master/ Bachelor degree or equivalent in Civil, Hydraulic, Environment Engineering or Public Health
- Minimum 3 years of relevant job experience in a similar role, preferably within the humanitarian sector
- Knowledge of relevant concepts of international refugee and human rights law and understanding of protection principles
- Significant understanding of Lebanon’s humanitarian, political and socio-economic context, and main challenges affecting refugees in Lebanon
- Proven experience in implementing Education programmes, coordinating activities, and liaising with external actors
- Knowledge of the WASH context (gaps and needs) in Bekaa Lebanon
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and verbal
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Initiating action and change