Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
Port of Vancouver is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 360 kilometres of shoreline and waterways and bordering on 16 municipalities. We lead the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers, annually trading $184 billion in goods with more than 160 trading economies.
The Manager, Environmental Programs will:
- Develop, implement and manage an environmental strategy together with the on-going administration of VFPA’s environment policy
- Develop and implement activities and programs designed to meet the intention of specific strategic priorities
- Manage studies involving air, land, water and noise pollution, marine ecology, wildlife, species at risk, habitat management and environmental management practices
- Oversee VFPA’s land and contaminated sites management and remediation
- Help to ensure port development and operations meet requirements of applicable environmental legislation
- Represent VFPA on external committees and at meetings and hearings on matters pertaining to the environment in the port
- Manage VFPA’s environmental reviews through the Project and Environmental Review Process and appropriate adherence to the Impact Assessment Act and VFPA’s Environment Policy
- Determine the potential environmental effects of port developments, leases and operations, and recommend appropriate mitigation measures and assist in securing permits and approvals
- Consult with appropriate agencies regarding environmental issues and monitor regulations that affect the port
- Participate as a member of various management and inter-departmental teams in the planning, implementation and management of business initiatives
- Plan, implement and review staffing requirements, including determining clear position descriptions, accountabilities and reporting arrangements to optimize service delivery
- Represent the VFPA in negotiations, at conferences and conventions and in the media as required
- Partner with Human Resources to ensure the effective selection, training and performance management of staff
- Support annual project and operating budget preparation and monitor expenditures
Education and Experience
As the ideal candidate, you have completed an appropriate university degree along with a minimum of five years of related experience in the environmental field at a management level, or an acceptable combination of education and experience. Must have an excellent command of the English language, both oral and written. Must have excellent computer skills including the use of Microsoft office tools.
Your exceptional leadership qualities and management and communication skills enable you to effectively interface with all levels of business, government and the public. You are an effective decision-maker, strategic planner and initiator, who fosters the development of emerging leaders.
Normal office conditions, with occasional (approximately once per month) evening and weekend attendance at meetings and functions.
Please note this posting will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.