The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees (www.cyi.ac.cy). Research at the Cyprus Institute is conducted through its four interdisciplinary research centers: the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC), the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC) and the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C).
The EEWRC, established on 2007 in collaboration with MIT, addresses research issues of global significance in the fields of renewable energy, environment and water and sustainable development with a focus on their specific regional, East-Mediterranean and Middle-Eastern, manifestations. Its research agenda focuses on the great challenges related to: development of renewable energy sources, sustainable development, decarbonization policies for Cyprus and the region, developing sustainable management of water and other natural resources in arid and semi-arid environments. Extensive collaboration with the newly established Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre in the issues of climate and environmental Research is anticipated.
The Director of the EEWRC will be responsible for the development and general operation of all affairs of the Research Center. S/he will work in Cyprus, and will be offered a professorial appointment in the rank of Professor with tenure, with an internationally attractive salary and benefits package, commensurate to his/her high degree of responsibility and qualification.
The Director will be directly responsible for:
- Planning, developing and implementing the research agenda of the Center.
- Development and stewardship of the Research Infrastructures of the Center
- Developing and implementing strategies appropriate to the Center’s mission and objectives.
- Recruiting and managing the Center’s research staff, and developing appraising and motivating them to carry out and achieve the center’s research and innovation objectives.
- Developing and overseeing the implementation Center’s financial budgets and investment plans.
- Raising financial and other resources to support the research and innovation agenda and development of the EEWRC; including competitive funds, awards and donations.
- Communicating the results and implications of research conducted at EEWRC and CyI at all levels, including the academic community, the public at large and political and economic decision makers.
Responsibilities as a Faculty Member of the CyI
- Mentoring, advising, educating and providing research guidance to graduate students in CyI’s doctoral and master programs
- Developing and delivering relevant seminars and courses to CyI graduate students;
- initiating and sustaining high-level collaborative projects with leading research institutions that conduct research in areas related to his/her respective fields;
- Maintain and further develop at a high international level his/her research and academic record
- Lead and participate in competitive research and innovation proposals
The incumbent should be an academic with strong leadership qualities, ideally with a minimum of five years experience in research management. S/he must have a scientific record of the highest international level, a strong vision of the role of research relevant to the EEWRC scope and interest of research.
The candidate must have excellent managerial, interpersonal and leadership skills, with strong capacities for managing human resources, and for generating and maintaining contacts in the academic, business and governmental circles, as well as obtaining support from them for the Center. Furthermore, the successful candidate should have excellent problem solving, analytical and conflict resolution capabilities as well as demonstrated record of initiative. Proficiency in spoken and written English is indispensable, while knowledge of the Greek and/or other languages would be an advantage.
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a CV including a list of publications, a compilation of obtained research grants, and relevant managerial experience, a Vision Statement about their plans for the development of EEWRC, and a list of at least five potential referees, incl. their contact details (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Ms Christiana Melodias ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
Reference letters: 5
Contact person: Ms Christiana Melodias
Reference number: CYI_EEWRCD_19_10